Manxome Pass

10 Oct 2011 08:28 #4280 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Manxome Pass
Hi ST,

Yes, its amazing how many coincidences there are life.If it would help you, I also have some photos of the ridge ascent from Chichi Bush Camp to the traverse from the ridge into Manxome Pass.

It is quite possible to put up several tents on the levellish grassy viewpoint area where I am standing. Although I didn't specifically photograph this area, the photo to Ncedamabutho gives a better idea of the nature of the area. The grass and soil is quite thin, so tent pegs could be a problem.

This photo looking down the pass gives an idea of the extent of the grassy area, to left of centre of the photo. It's quite a big area, virtually open on all sides, what an exposed campsite it will make!

Manxome Cave is about three quarters up the pass on the left and very obvious, I unfortunately don't have GPS info.

It is a larger cave than the impression given in the photo, and goes back quite deep into the rock. We couldn't get to look inside as it is quite a high vertical climb, about 4 m, from the grass to the cave. Certainly not easily accessible, and no water on the pass.

There is also a smaller overhang shelter slighly lower down the pass, which could probabably sleep two with a bit of rearranging of the smaller rocks, although the grass shows it gets water either dripping down the rock or directly from rain. Ruan, in photo, and myself had a rest here whilst ascending the pass.

Trust this helps you form an interesting hike/climb.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: plouw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2011 10:32 - 10 Oct 2011 10:35 #4285 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Manxome Pass
Thanx for the additional images. That cave definitely needs to be checked out. I like the idea of camping on such an exposed area, kind of gives an idea of exposure when there, of course taking a pee at night would have to be done very carefully and not to far away from the tent, otherwise you might have a quick flight down.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2011 10:35 by Serious tribe.

More
10 Oct 2011 12:16 #4296 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Manxome Pass
Thanks for all the pics tonymarshall, it all adds towards the documentation of the pass. Nice to see more folks interested in it, its a Mnweni classic that does deserve recognition, and yet it still intimidating enough to prevent it from being over-used.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
10 Oct 2011 14:26 #4298 by tonymarshall
Thanks Intrepid, glad I can make a contribution. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, and am amazed that this pass was 'unknown' until quite recently.

More
10 Oct 2011 15:26 #4299 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Manxome Pass
I must give this one a shot some time, but its so difficult to get a group of people fit enough to do passes that deserve a difficulty rating of more than 3/10 (the group I did Langalibelele Pass with earlier this year complained so bitterly about its difficulty despite how easy it actually is)...

More
11 Oct 2011 06:38 #4302 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Manxome Pass
Awesome shots tonymarshall! :thumbsup:

Definitely one of my all-time favourite berg experiences. But then again, I am biased... :P

More
11 Oct 2011 07:24 #4305 by tonymarshall
Thanks Stijn, I can admit to secretly sharing your bias. :thumbsup:

The Mnweni-Rockeries Passes/Ncedamabutho/Ledges Cave area is a very special place for me, this being my first Drakensberg hike some 25 years ago. Perhaps because of this, Manxome Pass also rates amongst my favourite Berg experiences, with the surrealness of being able to look across to and look down on the abovementioned areas.

More
12 Oct 2011 09:36 - 12 Oct 2011 09:40 #4324 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Manxome Pass
16 and a bit km from the top of manxome pass. Looks like a gravel crusher and mine.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 12 Oct 2011 09:40 by Serious tribe.

More
12 Oct 2011 09:52 #4325 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Manxome Pass
That's Letseng Diamond Mine which is access by the road linking Moteng Pass to Mokhotlong. It is lit up at night. In 2007 the 493 carat diamond they recovered there made headline news.
www.letsengdiamonds.co.ls/

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
12 Oct 2011 10:59 #4327 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Manxome Pass
I passed through Lesteng on a motorbike a few times in the early 1990s - when the mine was not operational. It was quite a sight - like it had simply been abandoned one morning. Most things were still there - fuel pumps, workshops, dorms for hundreds of people.

When news broke about the very big diamond being found there, I remember being worried about more extensive mining going on even closer to the escarpment. But several people in the mining sector that I have spoken to since have said that the big diamond may well have come from somewhere else (possibly a blood diamond). There's no way of knowing for sure, but it would be better for the Berg that way -i.e. if Letseng wasn't as productive as claimed.

More