Tseketseke Pass

10 Jun 2012 19:56 #54262 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tseketseke Pass
Nice writeup!

tonymarshall wrote: After resting a while at the top of the pass, we climbed to the top of nearby Tseketseke Peak (where Ghaznavid's cairn built during the 2012 GT was still intact) for the awesome view of Pyramid and Column.

Good to hear :)

I have to say that thats one of the most worthwhile peaks to climb, the view from the top is incredible. I rank it as the 2nd best view from a khulu out of the ones I have done, not beating Popple, but narrowly ahead of Thumb Spur Peak in third place...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2012 08:27 #54489 by MountainGoat
Replied by MountainGoat on topic Tseketseke Pass
Must have been quite a tough pass to climb with all the erosion from the flash flood. We came down the pass earlier this year & it was not a too pleasant trip. (maybe due to fitness level that wasn't up to scratch-hehe)

More
24 Jul 2013 07:57 #57787 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Tseketseke Pass
Hi All

Looking for some latest info on Tseketseke Pass. This weekend I am doing the Cockade - Tseketseke loop with freinds. I have not been up or down the pass since the flash flood. I would suspect that the trail at the top would still fine but as you get down I should expect quite a bit of bolder hoping until past the Hut. Would that be correct?

regards
Selous

More
24 Jul 2013 10:48 - 24 Jul 2013 10:56 #57790 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Tseketseke Pass
Hi Selous,

About a year ago I posted a write up with photos on Tseketseke Pass, on another thread also named 'Tseketseke Pass". (sorry, I can't do the quick link thing). Moderators, maybe merge the threads.

Not sure if you've seen the write up, but your assumptions are correct. My experience of Tseketseke is not the latest, but I would be happy to provide any additional info or comments you may require.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2013 10:56 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous

More
24 Jul 2013 12:59 #57794 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Tseketseke Pass
Hi Diverian

Thanks very much.

Regards
Selous

More
10 Nov 2014 13:20 #62278 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Tseketseke Pass
Is Tseketseke Pass any better these days?

More
11 Nov 2014 08:08 - 11 Nov 2014 08:11 #62284 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Tseketseke Pass
I've done Tseke Pass before and after the great flood of Noah (one of those times was up and down on the same day). I also walked the lower section shortly before the flood on a trip up Pyramid, and we also walked along there in August this year on the recent VE trip. From my observation it was the lower section of the pass that changed, from the hut up until about S28.99275 E29.16159. There used to be a track of sorts along there, particularly leaving the hut, which worked its way through the bush (thick at times) and generally on the true left side of the boulder bed. Now the section leaving the hut is a very broad boulder flood plain, which gradually narrows. Basically now its a lot of boulder hopping, and some of the boulders can be loose and unstable. The upper section of the pass remained relatively unaffected as far as I can remember since at the point mentioned above, a track takes you up on the grass sloped on the true right of the valley. On my last visit to the area I also noticed a track I had not seen before on the true left of the valley, roughly in this section.

There is now a waterfall which has to be clambered up at about S28.99257 E29.16664 - I don't think this was the case before the flood. It can be bypassed on the bushy slopes.

If you are fine with boulder hopping then you will probably be fine on Tseke. In my opinion the pass is not difficult even in its current form. And some of the very unstable stuff that was around directly after the flood has probably settled down more now. I would say passes like Ifidi, Xeni and Ships Prow present more of a challenge.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2014 08:11 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More
03 Dec 2014 21:23 - 03 Dec 2014 21:25 #62416 by Stretch
Replied by Stretch on topic Tseketseke Pass
Did TsekeTseke this last weekend. Didnt find it too bad - just long and tiring. We were able to follow the path and/or cairns the whole way down to the contour path except for losing it in a few places due to washout. The path takes you down the left bank most of the way until we got to a point that we had to get into the river bed (spotting a prominent cairn) - this required a bit of climbing down as solid rock (About 2m high) which was doable. Once in the river bed the cairns are plentiful but the rock hopping jarring. Its not quite a ships prow...but its getting that way. Rolands back to the hotel via Tseketseke left us with very sore legs on Monday!
Last edit: 03 Dec 2014 21:25 by Stretch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More
11 Feb 2015 20:40 - 12 Feb 2015 07:15 #62825 by GeraldF
Replied by GeraldF on topic Tseketseke Pass

Moderator note: #62825 and #62826 merged into this thread

Good day ladies/gents,
Anybody with info on the current state of Tseketseke Pass please?
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 07:15 by intrepid.

More
25 Feb 2015 13:43 #62893 by Davidtrickey
Replied by Davidtrickey on topic Tseketseke Pass
Hi Gerald, we did the passes this past weekend the 21st Feb we left Tseketseke campsite at about 8:00 and where up at 13:00. We went quite slow, took lots of pictures and kept to the riverbed which worked out well. My rookie advice would be to stay in the riverbed and look out for the Carins.

There are cairns all the up until you get the grass banks then we kept in the middle of the two scree fields all the way to the top.
There is a scramble probably grade 9 in climbing terms so very manageable. I have attached a photo of the waterfall scramble.
Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeraldF

More