Tseketseke Pass

01 May 2015 05:50 #63584 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic Tseketseke Pass
Yes it could be, as it was well established but a bit overgrown but clearly have been used recently as we could see clear shoe prints that looked like gumboots. It started on the true right then crossed over the stream to the true left and then goes into the stream bed. From there you stay in the stream bed till at the hut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2015 06:04 #63585 by DeonS
Tony, looking at the photo posted by Andrew r showing the terrace where they slept - the path crosses back into the river about 50m above their sleeping area, we did build a cairn here as we first ended up in their terrace before realizing and back tracked to the crossing. Hope it helps,

This image is hidden for guests.

More
01 May 2015 08:27 #63586 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Tseketseke Pass
Thanks Deon, yes that does fit well for the trail intrepid and I saw, and must be the same trail.

More
01 May 2015 19:52 - 01 May 2015 19:52 #63587 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic Tseketseke Pass
I may have shown the sleeping spot a bit far down the pass, in which case DeonS may have entered the riverbed down the same side gully as we did...
(The trail must be a lot higher up the side of the slope than where we were traversing :ohmy: )

Will wait for Ghaz to comment when he gets back.

make a difference. today.
Last edit: 01 May 2015 19:52 by andrew r.

More
02 May 2015 05:56 - 02 May 2015 05:57 #63589 by DeonS
Andrew, I actually followed your tracks right down past the sleeping area and down into a side stream, from there I walked back up the stream again to were I showed them to cross into the stream. It was much easier to walk in the stream bed than actually follow your trail as the trail in the stream seems to follow the true right hand side early on, and then bounces around left and right. I do remember that the last time we came down here we were more on the true right hand side of the stream, but that was years ago before the flood and it was in mist so I could be mistaken about the precise path.
Last edit: 02 May 2015 05:57 by DeonS. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More
02 May 2015 07:49 #63590 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Tseketseke Pass
Yes, Andrew, I also thought so, one of your other photos showed your camp was just upstream of the last cluster of pines we need to finish off in the valley, whereas your photo above shows the area just downstream of the trees on the true right, but certainly not far out.

The trail intrepid and I saw was quite a bit away from/higher up than the stream gully.

More
03 May 2015 16:45 #63592 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tseketseke Pass

andrew r wrote: Will wait for Ghaz to comment when he gets back.

I think I will need to recover from the epic day that was yesterday before I am in state of mind to reply :laugh:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
06 May 2015 09:02 - 06 May 2015 09:04 #63656 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Tseketseke Pass

tonymarshall wrote: When intrepid and I were up on the slopes below Cleft Peak last year cutting pines (when the waterfall photos were taken on our return down to the hut), we thought we could see a trail developing across the valley on the true left side in the mid section of the pass. Would that be the trail you used Deon?

On our ascent of Column last week we used this "new" trail. At "the waterfall" we clambered up the true left slope and got onto it right away, thus bypassing the waterfall totally. We stayed on this trail all the way up to the bivvy rock (more or less where the flowing water ends). You can thus effectively bypass a lot of the more clambery bits of the gully. Having done this trail now, there was one part of it which I distinctly remember on an ascent of the pass some 10 years ago (before the flood), thus some parts of this trail are not entirely new. On our way down we followed the trail all the way down to almost directly opposite the VE pine tree site. Went very quickly.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 06 May 2015 09:04 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall

More
06 May 2015 13:39 #63660 by Neil Margetts
Replied by Neil Margetts on topic Tseketseke Pass
Hi

Not sure if this is repeated information, but you can pass both waterfalls on the true left (facing downstream), there is a trail there and this is much easier with no climbing involved. On the way up just before the first waterfall you see cairns going right, and on the way down you will see cairns leading left across the river bed about 50m above the big rock bivi site. We saw a party go down the wrong way last weekend, this may well be the same group mentioned in this post.

Neil

More
08 May 2015 10:38 #63676 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tseketseke Pass
A photo of downclimbing the upper waterfall (with our high angle rescue team member handling the belay)

(Photo by Martin)

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Balthazar1, andrew r

More