Jarateng Pass Middle

14 Apr 2012 14:30 - 14 Apr 2012 14:31 #53558 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
Ya i must say i have also had a few recent cancellations with backpackers, not sure whats happening.

@ghaznavid, was going to suggest hitting jarding/thumb pass for a day mission with you, but came down with the flu :thumbsdown:

post GT maybe ? i have done so many solo hikes in Giants area, so dig to explore more.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2012 14:31 by kliktrak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2012 06:25 #53565 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
@Kliktrak: sounds good, we'll chat when I get back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak

More
06 Aug 2013 05:26 #57932 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
There have been a few questions about the Jarateng Passes floating around recently. This is the official thread for it.

First thing to bear in mind is that they are three distinct passes. Some maps show the northern one, North of Durnford, other maps show the Central one, South of Durnford. I've only done the Central one, but the other two are very visible and don't look bad at all. The Southern one is pretty grassy, whereas the Northern one is pretty rocky. The Central one is mostly grassy with a few rock bands only. It has an cave in it, very low roofed but really deep with a small entrance after which is opens up into a wide chamber. None of these passes have trails. There are some camp spots to be found not at the base of the passes, not far from the contour path. The shot below is taken from there. The Central pass is right in the middle of the shot, in line with the tent. The Northern one is in the shadows to the right, and the Southern one is on the left. GPS data is available in the downloads section.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, JonWells, Selous, ghaznavid, Smurfatefrog, Sabine

More
06 Aug 2013 07:47 #57938 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
Thanks intrepid, any pics of Jarateng Cave ?

More
06 Aug 2013 14:18 #57945 by ghaznavid
That makes sense now - in Feb this year myself and Kliktrak did a day hike at Giants. The goal was Jarding Pass, but we aborted due to the mist. I'm happy with my GPS free navigation skills though - we were in that thick overgrowth on the river and I thought I was looking at the split in the passes.

More
06 Aug 2013 19:20 #57955 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
Jarateng Cave from the outside (you can only crawl in on the right):

From the inside looking out:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, ghaznavid, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall

More
06 Aug 2013 20:08 #57957 by ghaznavid

intrepid wrote: From the inside looking out:

That looks seriously cool! Just doesn't look like it'll have a view, but otherwise would be an awesome place to be in a blizzard B)

So whose joining me for a 3 dayer at Giant's later this year. Night 1 in Jarding Cave, night 2 in Giant's Cave ;)

More
23 Sep 2013 10:56 - 23 Sep 2013 11:03 #58557 by ghaznavid
Probably won't do a full long writeup on my hike over the weekend, but seeing as it was unintentionally epic, I will post some of the story.

We did head up Jarding Central Pass, and yes - as suggested it is relatively easy. Somewhere between a 3/10 and a 4/10. Not by any means the most interesting or scenic pass ever. It has a faint trail for small sections, but nothing major. Navigation is easy, just stay out of the river gully and scree fields. It is a bit exposed between 2500-2700m, but no more than any other pass.

We planned to overnight in Intrepid's Jarateng Cave, but my GPS did its normal going haywire when near a rock band thing and I didn't see a spot on the pass that looks remotely like Intrepid's photo :lol:

We found a really nice cave around 2750m, about 100m true right from the drop into the river gully. My GPS said we walked flat at 2805m in a big circle when we walked through that rocky area, so I didn't bother trying to get a GPS co-ord.

Seeing as the pass goes under 1 of 2 names, and Intrepid's cave is Jarateng Cave, we can call this cave Jarding Cave. Sadly I didn't get great photos, but its a deep cave with at least 4 sleeping areas that can take 2-4 people each. There were a few drips from the roof, but otherwise it was a great cave.

Locals must use this cave - there were some cattle bones inside the cave.

The cave from outside:

2 of the sleeping areas:

This photo was taken from inside the cave:

Last edit: 23 Sep 2013 11:03 by ghaznavid.

More
23 Sep 2013 11:08 #58558 by ghaznavid
The rocky spot of the pass where the caves are. Its easy to find a way through the rock bands without any scrambling.

From the cave we were in mist the rest of the way up (Saturday). This was a rare occasion of us having descent visibility.

The view of the Kambule from the few moments when the mist cleared.

The top of the scree field

The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, kliktrak, Bigsnake

More
27 Sep 2013 06:00 - 27 Sep 2013 06:02 #58586 by ghaznavid
Just found a photo where you can see the cave we slept in. Its odd - it looks like its off the route you would use, but there was only a bit of exopsure getting there and no rock scrambling at all:

@Intrepid: do you have a photo where your cave is visible from a distance. I'm curious as to where it actually is.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 06:02 by ghaznavid.

More