Jarateng Pass Middle

30 Sep 2013 18:39 #58621 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
From what I remember it was where I have marked the red circle.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 18:46 #58622 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
Ok - I thought it might have been that. We saw that and my GPS did point at it at some point. Did you approach it from true left or true right? We were true right of there and the approach above a descent drop off looked a bit on the exposed side. At the point of the traverse I saw the other cave above us and headed for that instead.

More
02 Oct 2013 08:07 #58660 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Jarateng Pass Middle

ghaznavid wrote: Did you approach it from true left or true right?

True right. Pretty much followed the line of least resistance on the grassy slopes parallel to the main gully.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
30 Aug 2020 09:46 #76006 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
On the first weekend of September 2017, I did a three day hike at Giant’s Castle, ascending Katana Pass and descending Central Jarateng Pass. AndrewP and I travelled together from Gauteng, and although we did different hikes, we met in the evenings to overnight together, and descended Central Jarateng Pass together.

The previous evening we had tented next to the Jarateng River in Lesotho, south of Carbineer Point. So in the morning of our descent we first headed up onto the ridge past Carbineer Point and Kambule to the top of Central Jarateng Pass.

The view down Central Jarateng Pass from the top of the pass.

The valley in the upper section of the pass was broad, and we followed the grass slope on the true right of the stream.

A view back up the upper grass slope section of the pass.

Lower down, we were on the lookout for Jarateng Cave, which we knew was close to the stream and would be on our left. Passing a rock outcrop on our left, the entrance of the cave was just visible, and we went to have a look at the cave. The photo below shows the cave entrance, which is very low, and would be quite easy to miss.

The cave entrance faces down the pass. Another view of the low cave entrance.

The cave inside was more spacious than the low entrance suggested.

A view of the low cave entrance from the inside.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
30 Aug 2020 09:53 - 30 Aug 2020 09:58 #76007 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Jarateng Pass Middle
A view down the pass from the entrance of Jarateng Cave.

We had left our packs a short way away from the cave and gone up to the cave. In the photo below Andrew returns to his pack, with Jarateng Cave directly behind him.

Downstream of the cave the valley narrowed, and the grass slopes became quite steep side slopes, so we decided to follow the stream boulder bed. The photo below shows the view up the pass from this section of boulder bed.

Lower down there were some low waterfalls and minor obstacles in the stream bed, but all were easy to bypass.

We followed a section of the stream bed which was like a gorge with a high cliff on the left.

The typical terrain of the lower section of Central Jarateng Pass in the gorge area.

A view back up Central Jarateng Pass from near the junction of the three Jarateng Passes.

Lower down, we had a good view back up Central Jarateng Pass, with views of the other Jarateng Passes and the escarpment peaks above.

We descended to the Contour Path, generally following the right of the Jarateng stream, and had a morning break where the Contour Path crossed the Jarateng Stream, before returning to Giant’s Castle Office via Middle Ridge.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 30 Aug 2020 09:58 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, ghaznavid, Smurfatefrog, Richard Hunt, GriffBaker

More