Mnweni Marathon

12 Aug 2019 18:09 #75247 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mnweni Marathon
I also have one available as Papa D mentioned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2019 11:59 - 13 Aug 2019 12:05 #75252 by matt_w
Replied by matt_w on topic Mnweni Marathon
Hi, Dewrance is this what you are after or do you mean the route has changed? 
https://bikegpx.com/routes/f88a30bb
On the way to shepherds cave some went as per the map, others went over the mountain.

Here's my actual route from last Spring: 
https://www.strava.com/activities/1813235816

Enjoy, it looks like I'm missing out this year but hoping to do join in May.
Cheers - Matt
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 12:05 by matt_w. Reason: Add user

More
14 Aug 2019 15:39 #75255 by Scottie
Replied by Scottie on topic Mnweni Marathon
I have one entry for spring Mnweni 2019 for sale.
breaks my heart to sell it  :-(

More
08 Sep 2019 19:41 - 08 Sep 2019 21:53 #75304 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Mnweni Marathon
Had a fantastic weekend at my first Mnweni Marathon (can't believe it took me this long to finally enter)! I just love the under-the-radar vibes at this race, with Bruce making burgers and boerie rolls at the finish while everyone kuiers and cheers all the runners in. Great to catch-up with Warren, Ruth and Merv again, but otherwise the VE contingent was pretty small!

I had one of those rare days where everything just kept going right and managed to sneak in just under 5 hours for 5th place :-) Details here:  https://ar.attackpoint.org/viewlog.jsp/user_4372/period-2/enddate-2019-09-08

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Sep 2019 21:53 by Stijn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, firephish, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall, AdrianT, Andreas, Dave, WarrenM

More
08 Sep 2019 21:18 #75305 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Mnweni Marathon
Wow,  great time!

Was also my first mnweni marathon,  brought up the rear for VE with a 10h36 haha. 

Next time will do some training ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, Smurfatefrog

More
09 Sep 2019 08:22 #75306 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Mnweni Marathon
Hi All
Well done on the racing and the good results, even if you just finished, I think that is a good result.  
Does anyone have any images of the lower section of Rockeries, toward Scaly Cave (round the spot height 2037) and the areas around 5 star cave.  I am wanting to see how burnt the area is, also are the bottlebrush bushes in flower yet?  Am wanting to get some pics of the blossoms.  I realise that with the running most wouldn't be shooting pics but there might be some.  I see Stijn has some so perhaps...
Thanks

More
09 Sep 2019 08:29 - 09 Sep 2019 08:34 #75307 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mnweni Marathon

firephish wrote: Wow,  great time!

Was also my first mnweni marathon,  brought up the rear for VE with a 10h36 haha. 

Next time will do some training ...

Still a great achievement. Come back in May for a sub 10

Mine went very much according to plan coming in at 7h54 with all my splits being within 5 minutes of plan.
In May I crossed the Mnweni way too early, this time I crossed it too late! I was only on the north bank for about 500m but this probably only cost me a couple minutes

@Serious tribe, nope sorry

A few pics (first one not mine)

Last edit: 09 Sep 2019 08:34 by Smurfatefrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish, tonymarshall, AdrianT, Dave

More
09 Sep 2019 11:04 #75309 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Mnweni Marathon

Serious tribe wrote: Hi All
Well done on the racing and the good results, even if you just finished, I think that is a good result.  
Does anyone have any images of the lower section of Rockeries, toward Scaly Cave (round the spot height 2037) and the areas around 5 star cave.  I am wanting to see how burnt the area is, also are the bottlebrush bushes in flower yet?  Am wanting to get some pics of the blossoms.  I realise that with the running most wouldn't be shooting pics but there might be some.  I see Stijn has some so perhaps...
Thanks

I didn't take any pics of those areas, but the Mnweni is burnt the whole way up (few green shoots starting to peak through). If i recall correctly (was pretty wiped out by then) Rockaries is completely burnt from mushroom rock upwards  on both sides of the valley and on the true left down form there. The bottle brushes in lower reaches of the Ntonjelana valley where in full bloom.

More
09 Sep 2019 12:02 #75310 by swordfish
Replied by swordfish on topic Mnweni Marathon

Serious tribe wrote: Hi All
Thanks

I took several good pictures of Rockeries. However, didn't see the bottlebrush flowers yet. Hope those are going to give you a good idea.

More
09 Sep 2019 14:19 - 09 Sep 2019 14:33 #75313 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Mnweni Marathon
Thanks for that swordfish, it is indeed a very dramatic part of the berg, you had some great cloud action after the front went through.

Glad i wasn't running down rockeries though, coming down with a pack is bad enough.  Ok so it has been burnt quite recently.  I was hoping for the lovely red and blonde grasses you get in winter plus the bottlebrush.  That might be a wish to far through. 

Thanks again.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2019 14:33 by Serious tribe.

More