Great Himalaya Trail (GHT) - live tracking

11 Oct 2016 09:28 #70000 by ghaznavid
@Coeta: No question, what Andrew is doing is incredible!

Remember that Andrew is not a sponsored athlete, so he does the normal going-to-work thing like the rest of us. If you look at what some of the top paid athletes manage, it is insane!

Are you familiar with Ueli Steck? He makes even Andrew seem sane. Last year he climbed all 82 4000m peak in the Alps in 62 days. He holds the speed record on the north face on the Eiger (and he insisted on not using the fixed lines, which are permissible under the rules for the FKT, but he feels they are not in the spirit of mountaineering), and has pulled off various other incredible feats.

As the saying goes: Superman's hero is Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris' hero is Ueli Steck...
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2016 09:48 #70001 by elinda
I am so enjoying this Andrew - and yes, what you are doing is mind boggling to us mere mortals.....I reckon you are our own Ueli Steck! Thanks for the great photos and report back .
PS - You look as if you have lost a bit of weight on your GHT diet? Seems to be working in terms of your performance though!

More
11 Oct 2016 09:53 #70002 by ruthtbl
Wow, this is really impressive! Thanks for all the updates, and well done Andrew, you are a machine! (Just get back to SA safe and sound so we can all congratulate you properly.)

More
13 Oct 2016 16:35 #70034 by AndrewP
Hi guys

Ghaz, thanks for the updates.

Everyone else, thanks for the support.

I am now so out of my depth on this, it is not funny. If you include the approach hike, I have about 850km behind me. And, still have 2.5 GT's ahead.

To answer the foot question. Amazingly, I have no blisters, Iran's or other on my feet. I have not even placed a single piece of tape on them to prevent problems. Still on my original shoes but the left shoe has needed some patching to keep alive.

Legs did not like the staircases the last 2 days.

Shoulders were in agony early on with the 14kg pack but since ditching the heavy stuff, they are fine.

My main mantra right now is from Stijn's book. If the record is 105 hours, you do not need to run it in 40, 82 is enough.

Regardless of outcome, a proper trip report will follow. If I can get just one person to move off the beaten path and to visit a part of Nepal other than Everest or Annapurna, it will be worth it
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, tonymarshall, Viking, ruthtbl, AdrianT, Biomech

More
13 Oct 2016 20:09 #70038 by AdrianT

AndrewP wrote: If I can get just one person to move off the beaten path and to visit a part of Nepal other than Everest or Annapurna, it will be worth it

Done. I want to go to experience the people, the places, the high mountains for hiking and a few rivers to kayak! I've had several friends paddle there and it looks too good. So envious.

Keep safe and keep charging. You are a massive inspiration to me and an absolute machine.

More
14 Oct 2016 12:21 #70049 by nickycoops
Great job Andrew, and some wonderful photos. You got a free beer on your desk the other day, I swiped it. I'll buy you one when you get back and you can tell me all about your amazing trip.

Nick

More
21 Oct 2016 12:25 #70083 by ghaznavid
Andrew has a lot of updates that I haven't posted - I have been rather busy this week (fancy that, Ghaz actually does work from time to time :P )

But anyway - 150km to go, he is on day 24 now, a day behind schedule. He is undecided whether he will finish by a full day push or 3 days. Being near Everest now, he is finally able to hike at night and start early, so pace can be increased - but a lot of big hills to go!

Anyone who has had a look at his tracker will notice how insane the distance he has covered has been!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP, DesPorter

More
24 Oct 2016 14:38 #70090 by ghaznavid
Andrew has just crossed the finish line - roughly 29 days to cross from one side of Nepal to the other, what an effort!

On an unrelated note, Chuck Norris has ordered a pair of Andrew Porter pajamas :lol:

More
24 Oct 2016 15:53 - 24 Oct 2016 15:54 #70091 by elinda
Fantastic achievement and very well done Andrew ! - we ( along with Chuck Norris) are in total awe........
Enjoy the well deserved rest and enjoy the rest of your time there :)
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 15:54 by elinda.

More
24 Oct 2016 16:12 #70092 by DesPorter
Now for Mera and Island peak to round it off in style.

More