Great Himalaya Trail (GHT) - live tracking

24 Oct 2016 19:56 #70093 by Biomech
Well done Andrew! We are absolutely amazed by your achievement. Looking forward to the writeups!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2016 14:35 - 16 Mar 2018 11:26 #70098 by AndrewP
Thanks everyone for the support. Here is a brief summary of what I actually pulled off. Proper write ups and pics will come in due course.

Andrew completed the GHT west to east, following a route similar to Burch. He started in Hilsa at 4 am on 26 September and finished in Pashupatinagar shortly after nightfall on 24 October 2016.

Andrew navigated by himself the whole way, and used no porters, preferring to carry the entire load himself. To keep weight down, he stayed in lodges or other local accommodation for most nights, buying food locally as he travelled.

He received assistance and useful advice during the planing stages from Robin Boustead.

He organised the trip through the Thamel based trekking company Adventure Mountain Club. He had a dedicated guide, Nawang, who assisted with resupply points along the way and with issuing permits. Andrew also received plenty of useful advise from both Nawang and the trekking company.

In total, Andrew used 5 resupply points, at Simikot, Jupal, Dharapani, Trisuli and Bahrabrise. He also did a detour, on foot both ways, from Kagbeni to Jomsom to visit an ATM.

Key Stats are as follows:
Total time: 28 days, 13 hours and 56 minutes
Distance covered: 1406 km
68440 m ascent
69943 m descent
1.8 million steps taken
Weight loss of 4kg

Andrew would like to thank Robin Boustead, the Adventure Mountain Club and Nawang for their assistance.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2018 11:26 by Viking. Reason: As per authors request

More
27 Oct 2016 16:06 #70099 by tonymarshall
Great stuff, Congratulations Andrew.

More
27 Oct 2016 21:47 #70100 by Papa Dragon
Awesome, well done!!
Machine!!

More
28 Oct 2016 10:54 #70103 by ASL
Congratulations Andrew! Sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it too.

Hope you had a beer at the end? Cheers, Ian

More
28 Oct 2016 11:10 #70104 by Coeta
Well done Andrew!

More
28 Oct 2016 14:35 #70105 by elinda
An amazing achievement - very well done Andrew!

More
01 Nov 2016 11:53 - 01 Nov 2016 15:04 #70109 by ghaznavid
For those in JHB, Andrew will be presenting his trip at the MCSA slide show on 30 November.

He will be at the Durban MCSA slide show on 7 December.

He is also looking at attending the Cape Town MCSA slide show, but no fixed plans yet.

Ps. PMB people - make sure you catch this week's Sun newspaper, you may see a familiar face in it, around page 10...
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 15:04 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP, Biomech

More
13 Feb 2018 09:51 #72803 by AndrewP
Many of you will know by now that Ryan and Ryno are about to head off to Nepal to attempt the Great Himalaya Trail.

It is worth pointing out that they have been considering it for a long time. Long enough that I knew before starting out on my attempt, that a day would come when they would also have a go. Which was good incentive then to run a bit faster.

We have been in contact for almost a year. As there are so few rules regarding the FKT for trail, they wanted my opinion as to how prepare a suitably comparable trip. They will thus use the same start and end points, and will pass through the same significant towns and will thus at a high level follow the same route. The hard work to navigate in between is up to them.

Specifics will of course vary considerably and I am interested to see what they get up to. Resupply, food and gear strategies will not show up on the tracker, but after a few weeks become a very significant success factor. They will be running at the end of winter so will have very different weather conditions as well. Only time will tell...

Once details of the tracking website are available, I will pass it on.

I wish them the best of luck with their journey. I hope that VE members will offer them the same support you gave me.

More
14 Feb 2018 13:53 #72818 by Viking
I like how these two okes have to team up to beat Andrew's records. #justsaying

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, Macc, GriffBaker

More