Upper Injisuthi Cave

04 May 2012 08:09 #53736 by Selous
Upper Injisuthi Cave was created by Selous
Hi

How many people can Upper Injasuti Cave sleep? Anybody know?
Regards
Selous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2012 08:14 #53737 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Hi Selous

We slept 8 comfortably on this trip.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
04 May 2012 08:26 #53738 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
:) Thanks a mil Diverian. Shot for the photo. Looks nice and clean too. This is a big help.
Regards
Selous

More
19 Sep 2012 08:29 #55268 by trudevdm
Replied by trudevdm on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Can one hike to upper injasuthi cave from injasuthi camp and overnight in the cave. What is the distance approx from injasuthi camp to upper injasuthi cave?

More
19 Sep 2012 10:16 #55270 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
You can but it would be a 2 day hike to get there unless you leave before sunrise and are a machine
Going via Leslies Pass its probably between 20 & 23 KMs

More
19 Sep 2012 10:50 #55271 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Bearing in mind that a Grand Traverse has been done in just over 60 hours and guy who currently holds the speed record in the 9 summits did Mafadi via Leslie's in 27 hours - yes it is possible. But as Smurf said, you need insane fitness or you need to leave really early and be prepared to finish late...

More
19 Sep 2012 13:31 - 29 Sep 2012 12:27 #55272 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Awesome view from there! Definitely a lovely cave to sleep in

Last edit: 29 Sep 2012 12:27 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous, Leone

More
19 Sep 2012 18:02 #55274 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Hi Trudevdm

My suggestion would be this: BUT please not my suggestion does depend on the fitness of your weakest member/s of the group.

Leave Injasuti Camp at around 12pm on a Friday afternoon, you should reach a campsite below Leslie Pass at around 5-6Pm with an average fitness group. There are GPS downloads of the campsites in the download section. I can always also send them through on this forum if you need them. The section from Marble Baths to the camp sites below Leslie's Pass is very draining due to quite a bit of bolder hopping and cairn finding. I.e. This section also takes a bit of extra time.
Leave early (7:30-8am) on Saturday morning and leave yourself the whole day to get to upper Injasuti cave. You would need to be at the top of the pass between 11am and 12pm. Have a lunch at the top and get going before 1pm for UI Cave
Sunday will be your longest day (about 22Km) if you go down Judges Pass. (not a difficult Pass). Once on the contour Path it is easy walking to Centenary Hut and then some vas byte to Injasuti Camp as the long day sets in.

I lead a group with two people who were quite slow and on of the ladies was struggling at altitude but we still managed to do the route in 2 and a half days. Total distance was about 45km if I remember correctly.

Regards
Selous

More
19 Sep 2012 19:37 #55275 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Hi All

If all goes well we should be at UIC on Saturday late afternoon,it will be my first trip up to that part of the escarpment. Up Corner pass Mafadi Leslie's pass and Sunday evening at Marble Baths. Only two of us and I'm going ultra light !!!

Question: If cave is taken is it safe camp at waterfall near edge,where Trojan Wall slopes down.I heard that there is usually lots of traffic in the vicinity of Mafadi.
Is Judges easier than Corner?

Anyone heading that way this coming long weekend ?

More
19 Sep 2012 19:42 - 19 Sep 2012 19:44 #55276 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
With a multi-day pack, rather not try to go to Upper Cave in one day, you're not gonna make it. That will be from either side, Judge's via Centenary, or Leslie via Marble Baths. Little Berg sections are steep, passes are even steeper, and the escarpment in that area is quite mean. The photo below shows the approach from Judge pass side towards the Injisuthi high ground. It ain't a walk in the park.

Same from Leslie's pass side.

Not meant to discourage you to do a trip, but definitely discouraging you from trying to do it in one day.

(PS. That photo was taken on one of the most epic days I had in the Berg. Due to time constraints we had to traverse all the way from top of Ship's Prow, over Mafadi, down Judges to Centenary hut. I could not lift my arms above shoulder level that evening at Centenary hut.)

Last edit: 19 Sep 2012 19:44 by HFc.

More