Upper Injisuthi Cave

19 Jan 2023 17:29 #78285 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave

I was informed by the Camp Manager that we have to book Upper Injisuthi Cave before hand - we go to the top and the cave and moved in, a second group came in and informed us it was already booked by their group and we had to move - luckily we did have tents. To make double sure I check their website and it is listed as bookable online and it was also confirmed when I phoned them - so clearly it is bookable.

Was news to me because we always assumed escarpment caves can't be booked.

I've had that at Twins Cave before. Arrived at Didima, checked the cave was available and booked it at the office. Arrived at the cave, an hour later a mountain guide shows up with clients and very rudely tells us to get out because he has booked it. I pointed out we had also booked the cave, and that there was plenty of space for everyone. He told us that his clients were paying, and we were just casual hikers, so we should leave the cave for them. Eventually after refusing to move for about 15 minutes (I was sitting in my sleeping bag and it was raining outside - so I had no interest in moving), they eventually left and went to annex. That was Feb 2018 if I recall correctly, I seem to recall Tony collecting water while this happened, so it was just Hobbit and myself in the cave.

Incidentally multiple groups can book the same cave as per Ezemvelo rules. Same for huts. I've had that at Zulu Cave where we had something like 8 MCSA members and 2 random people who arrived after dark saying they had also booked it - there was space, so I didn't have a problem with sharing. When I checked at the office the next day, turns out they had also booked.

I understand they use a central booking system, so no overbooking is possible. There are dates when the caves are not available because it is already completely booked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2023 20:24 #78286 by grae22
Replied by grae22 on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
The Injisuthi caves can be double booked as the Injisuthi office also takes "bookings" on occasion - independently of central reservations. This seems to be a tactic employed by pushy guides who've neglected to book via CR sufficiently in advance.

More
19 Jan 2023 20:40 #78287 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave

The Injisuthi caves can be double booked as the Injisuthi office also takes "bookings" on occasion - independently of central reservations. This seems to be a tactic employed by pushy guides who've neglected to book via CR sufficiently in advance.

Well, that is a problem then.

More
20 Jan 2023 10:23 #78288 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
It's a bit of a contentious issue.

A double booking could cause problems. Basotho's, smugglers, herdsmen etc. could also decide to head for the cave and they don't understand or care about booking a cave.

To be safe and sure, simply bring a tent along, then you are covered should you experience any cave issues.

More
20 Jan 2023 11:24 #78289 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave

Basotho's, smugglers, herdsmen etc. could also decide to head for the cave and they don't understand or care about booking a cave.

Maybe they don't have Wifi?
Or the systam...?

I sense an opportunity to start approaching those Hilleberg owners and let them know I've also booked a spot in their tents, shift up!!

More
20 Jan 2023 16:27 #78290 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
I stand corrected here but only the Injisuthi caves can be booked online - the rest you have to book through the office at the entry point and this was told to me by the central booking office.

Yes I am a guide and it does get a bit tricky when I book a cave for guests and some one else is there before me - but luckily the few times this has happened the group moved out or we came to an agreement that my group can get first choice. The issue I have had is that the office will some times book more than one group because the cave can sleep 12 and your group might only be 4 then in theory another group can sleep there as well. Carry you proof of payment with you as this gives you the right to ask the other group to leave - that is if they did not book it. Unfortunately it does happen that coves are double booked especially if you book every thing from one office and walk through a number of different areas and you cave falls in the other area.

Escarpment caves were always who ever is there first its theirs. 

More
20 Jan 2023 16:29 #78291 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Yes I can confirm that does happen - mainly due to the notifications getting to them not on time or guides that are pushing their luck.

More