Upper Injisuthi Cave

19 Sep 2012 19:54 #55277 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
There is a pretty well worn path on the south side - it ends up in the saddle between Mafadi and Injisuthi Dome, not sure where it goes after Mafadi:

Don't underestimate Mafadi - its slopes aren't overly steep when compared to slopes like Popple or No Mans Peak, but it is sustained and feels like it goes on for ever.

There may be as much as a 10% chance that I will stand on Mafadi again on Sunday, but considering the plan is to conquer Gypaetus Pass on Saturday and if that fails, then to try again on Sunday - anything is possible...

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hermann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2012 19:55 #55278 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Thanx Highlands Meant to mention we hiking to Centenary Hut on Friday,from there we'll leave early Saturday morning for Mafadi/UIC

More
19 Sep 2012 20:12 #55279 by ghaznavid
I have been keeping an eye on the weather forecast for this weekend - it has gone from over 70mm of snow to a bit of drizzle, this morning it was back up to about 7mm of snow, now I see its back down to less than 6mm of snow and rain. My personal forecast: perfect weather B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hermann

More
20 Sep 2012 07:44 #55282 by trudevdm
Replied by trudevdm on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Thank you very much to everyone who replied! This gives me the perfect answer. Unfortunately this seems a bit too hard for two of our members.

Where in the berg would one be able to take someone who wants to experience the feeling of being on top of the world/berg? We would need a easy to moderate route. One day out, overnight and the next day back.

Mount Exources would have been the perfect option, as it is an easy walk and the view and experience to overnight up there is just awesome. But the security issues with the Basothos make us not even consider this option.

More
20 Sep 2012 07:59 #55283 by ghaznavid
Some classics:
- Langalibalele Pass (see this thread ), but probably don't come down Hlubi Pass - its really steep and has no path. Langalibalele Pass is dead easy, and if you climb a peak like Thumb Spur, you get an incredible view. You can sleep in Bannerman Cave and if you want an even better view, you can slog up the ridge to the summit of Bannerman Face Peak.
- Rhino Peak via Mashai Pass is also a classic, but you would normally sleep in Pillar Cave and thus do 4km on day 1 and 16km on day 2. There aren't really any usable caves on the escarpment in the area.
- Amphitheatre via chainladders or Beacon Buttress Gully with a traverse to Ifidi and you can overnight in one of the many caves (you will almost definitely need a GPS to find them).
- Organ Pipes Pass (a personal favourite of mine) with overnighting in Upper Ndumeni Caves (or Roland's cave - but not recommended if anyone in the group won't like walking along the side of a rock face with a 160m drop below them, and not really recommended if no one in the group has been there before - its hard to find if you don't know where to look). Cleft Peak or the Ndumeni Dome can be done from here fairly easily and will have amazing views.

There are other good ones (Thaba Ngwangwe, Knuckles, Bollard/Wilson etc), but they are more difficult and probably don't match what you are looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trudevdm

More
20 Sep 2012 08:18 #55284 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Don't let the Basuthos put you off the Mount Aux Sources area. It is not as bad as it seems, you just have to camp out of sight.

More
20 Sep 2012 09:06 #55285 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
For a moderate 2-day hike with "top of the world" feeling, I would recommend Ghaznavid's option of heading up the Chain Ladders and across to Ifidi Cave for the night (12km) and heading back the same way the next day. I've heard the view from the True Ifidi Cave is spectacular!

More
07 Apr 2016 19:35 #67735 by Gunman
Replied by Gunman on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Good evening.

I wish to do Injisuthi summit cave from Injisuthi camp via corner pass in a day. If some one has done it of recent could you please advise as to path condition and if possible do you have the G.P.S co-ordinates of the cave taken from the cave?

Thanks
Bruce.

More
07 Apr 2016 20:09 #67737 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Hi Bruce

Co-ords should be available in the downloads section, but they are 29° 11.833'S 29° 22.285'E

Path condition: is there any particular section you are referring to?

More
08 Apr 2016 07:58 #67742 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Upper Injisuthi Cave
Hello Bruce

The path as far as Centenary Hut is clear the whole way. After that, the path up the northern high approach is visible and easy to follow for the whole stretch except a short steep slog up the initial hill (the path starts out fine, and then dies out - just keep going up and as soon as you reach the next section of ridge it forms again)

Be careful to turn right into corner pass itself as the path heading up Around the Corner is clearly visible. Around the Corner is easy and safe, but you miss out on the spectacular and narrow gully of Corner Pass if you do take a wrong turn.

The path from the saddle between Trojan Wall and Injasuti Dome to the cave is very feint, with a few cairns along the way. If you roughly contour your way and you have the GPS co-ords, you should find the cave easily.

More