Road to Sentinel Car Park

07 Mar 2019 11:59 #74731 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Road to Sentinel Car Park
Hi Gerrit - we used the road in Feb, I wouldn't take a polo up there, we used transport organised with the Hotel, and they struggled to get through one section on their Toyota condor, we all got our the condor and waited at the top for him to get through after trying once or twice with us in the condor and then we all got back in again.

I would say you need a 4x4 to get up there comfortably, but in saying this we have historically seen normal cars in the car park so in theory it is possible, but if we went again we would organise the transport again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2019 14:13 #74737 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Road to Sentinel Car Park
Gerrit,

We went up that road in mid Dec 2018, with a Ford Ecosport and I got it up the 'road' due to having done a fair bit of 4x4-ing before, but I wouldn't like to do it again with that car! A Polo doesn't have good ground clearance, and if you don't choose your line carefully you will damage the underside. Normally, on lower sedans you hit the sump at the front (engine oil could then leak out) or more commonly you rip the silencer off at the back.

Rather go for something with higher ground clearance, there is less chance of damaging something. 

More
26 Jun 2019 18:53 #75118 by Peter Hattingh
It's now June 2019.  Sections of the road from the Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge are incredibly bad.  I certainly would not want to take my front - wheel drive car on the road.  There is a shuttle service (R150pp) from the lodge. 

More
27 Jun 2019 14:30 - 27 Jun 2019 14:42 #75121 by CBlything
Replied by CBlything on topic Road to Sentinel Car Park
Went up to the car park the evening of 14 June 2018 .....there is one section of about 150-200 m that is particularly bad took a pic from the drivers seat .....drove a Touareg up and took it slow coming back to the hotel side that was a fairly steep climb with huge rocky surface , wouldn't take a vehicle with low ground clearance up there.....

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 14:42 by JonWells. Reason: Image embedded

More
05 Jul 2019 13:44 #75139 by Nic Le Maitre
I was there about 2 weeks ago. I was glad to be driving a bakkie with good clearance. There was a Ford Focus at the upper parking lot so it is possible in a normal car, especially a rental

More