R74 roadworks etc.

24 Apr 2012 09:50 #53640 by dirktalma
Replied by dirktalma on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
Hi there

Does anyone know what the R74 is like now? We're on our way to Mnweni and the route along the N3 costs an extra R130 there and back if you're coming from Pta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 10:47 #53641 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
Its still a nightmare, stop/gos and terrible surface

More
24 Apr 2012 20:47 #53650 by Mattalica
Replied by Mattalica on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
Yeah - ry/go's are still there. We where there this last weekend and there was one right at the start where the R74 joins the road to Clarens. I was in the car that decided to go via Harrismith back to Durbs, and the friend that went via the R74 said it wasn't pleasant. :thumbsdown:

More
02 May 2012 06:58 #53685 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
The R74's stop / go’s are an absolute joke! The lane that they are working on, has a new layer of gravel, but seems that construction on it has been halted. The open lane is half gravel road, half tar road. And at the stops, half the cars just races pass the queue into the oncoming traffic. :thumbsdown:

More
02 May 2012 12:01 #53690 by mykitchin
Replied by mykitchin on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
I don't think the side of the road they're "working" on has seen any work since December 2010! Friends I recently went down with commented that it looked like no further construction had occurred since they used the road in that month. The new layer of gravel has weeds growing through it in many places. The road was badly potholed for many years and needed some serious maintenance...though it looks like finances weren't properly managed and the money has now dried up?

More
02 May 2012 12:21 #53691 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
the story i have heard from people in the area (my family live in Ladysmith). Is that the contractor started the job and after a period of non payment, was informed by the Gov dept that the tender wasnt properly awarded, so the contractor immediately left the site.

The other version of the story is that the contractor absconded with money etc

My other theory is that there is a large amount of infrastructure development in the northern KZN area including massive upgrades to the roads connecting Estcourt/Ladysmith/Newcastle and the N3, I wonder if the top of Oliviershoek pass as included or somehow missed - ie confusion in jurisidictions between KZN and Free State provincial Gov's and allocation of budget etc

who knows, but with all the service delivery and bad administration issues in that part of Free State (Harrismith, Ficksburg etc) Im going for bad governance on the Free State side.

On the long weekend in the Northern Berg I encountered a number of people complaining about the road and the extra travel time. A couple from UK with a hired car staying in Harrismith were not prepared to go back that way and rather detour to N3 and go back up Van Reenen's at the end of their hike at RNNP when I spoke to them in the Mahai car park.

More
02 May 2012 12:22 #53692 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
See Kliktrak's post from last year, same thread:

"i the report i have from my family in ladysmith so they are close to things there, is that the tender awarded to Sanyati construction was the problem. Basically the Government dept responsible wasnt paying them, and when this was queried the Gov says the tender documents werent signed off properly. the company basically took their gear and staff off site and left it at that!"

More
02 May 2012 12:23 #53693 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
@mnt-tiska

:P yip thats what i said... :blush: er again... :whistle:

More
02 May 2012 13:13 #53694 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
Kliktrak- from the time stamps of our last posts (1421, 1422), I think we submitted them more or less simultaneously. Maybe the moderator can tidy things up.

More
03 May 2012 06:17 #53707 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: R74 roadworks etc.
Drove on this road yesterday - it is still in appalling condition, rather go through Harrismith.

More