R74 roadworks etc.

12 Jul 2013 13:53 #57650 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic R74 roadworks etc.
Watch more about the Maloti Drakensberg Route on CNBC (Channel 410) TONIGHT at 6pm. The show will be made up of, Maloti Drakensberg insert, Maloti Drakensberg studio interview, Underberg profile, Rhodes / Tiffindell road trip, R74 discussion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2013 07:05 #57657 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic R74 roadworks etc.
Terrible presenter on that show, but the news on the R74 is that the contractors appointed have gone into liquidation and it seems the process of appointing another contractor will take ages.
The stop/goes have been unmanned since May with trucks still using it, so its becoming quite dangerous

More
19 Jul 2013 13:32 #57762 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic R74 roadworks etc.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, ASL, Stockhausen

More
24 Jul 2013 00:05 #57786 by Stockhausen
Replied by Stockhausen on topic R74 roadworks etc.
Interesting video - I am still 50% unsure/sure about this road. Nearly got a puncture last year! I'll be there in a month... The following video is also interesting:

More
11 Sep 2013 16:30 #58468 by Drakensbergie
Replied by Drakensbergie on topic R74 roadworks etc.
Doing a relaxed few days in RNNP in about two weeks. Fishing, Chain Ladders, fishing, Gorge/Lion Butress is pretty much the plan. I spoke to a guy at RNNP who told me that the R74 is now fixed. I then spoke to a lady at Witzies who told me that its not... :blink:

Can anybody give me an update, please?

More
11 Sep 2013 16:51 - 11 Sep 2013 17:07 #58469 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic R74 roadworks etc.
The R74 has been resurfaced on the KZN side below Oliviershoek Pass, which might be what the RNNP guy was talking about. However, the problem section above the pass on the Free State side remains the same as a few years now, and is definitely not fixed.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2013 17:07 by intrepid. Reason: Changed topic title after moving
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stockhausen, Drakensbergie

More
06 Oct 2013 19:56 #58711 by Stockhausen
Replied by Stockhausen on topic R74 roadworks etc.
That FS section is an embarrassment seeing that it services a main tourist route. Loads of visitors come straight to the Berg from Jozi and have to see the country's worst road - pride should motivate the powers to find a solution surely?

More
04 Jun 2014 21:35 #60990 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic R74 roadworks etc.
Back to our favorite road ....any change.....drivable from Harrismith ?

More
05 Jun 2014 04:38 #60993 by spook
Replied by spook on topic R74 roadworks etc.
I drove down to the northern berg a few weeks back and discovered a really good alternative. It includes some dirt, very doable in most sedans and refreshingly enjoyable. It essentially takes some good farm roads just east of the bad R74 section and cuts out the bad bits before joining the tar again before dropping down Oliviershoek Pass. I can recommend it for all but the most dirt averse.

At Harrismith Take the N5 Exit (Bethlehem)
Travel approx 1.8 km West
At the 4 way stop, turn left (WilgePark) - right turn would take you back over bridge into Harrismith
Travel South approx 14.6 km
Turn Right
Travel South Westerly 10km to a T junction
Turn Left
Travel South for 7km to a T junction
Turn Left
Travel 16 km south down the Oliviershoek Pass
Turn Right to Northern Berg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magan, ASL, Drakensbergie

More
05 Jun 2014 07:51 - 05 Jun 2014 07:52 #60995 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic R74 roadworks etc.
I stayed away from the R74 for a long time but in the last while I have started using it again. I have done it in a very small car, but take it very, very slowly. I would not do it in the dark or during bad weather. If you have high-clearance and/or 4x4 type of vehicle you will be totally fine, but even so there are a few sections where you need to concentrate. The traffic-regulation booths are partially manned but they are not regulating traffic in any way. In my subjective experience is seems easier driving toward Bergville on the bad sections, than driving towards Harrismith. It is time consuming and requires concentration but I think still worth driving if you are going somewhere like RNNP. If you are going toward Bergville/Winterton, it might still be more or less the same time-wise to travel via Van Reenen, though much longer of course.

@spook: sounds like an alternative worth investigating. I think there may also be a variation from the Swinburne area, but not totally sure.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2014 07:52 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magan

More