Grand Traverse Record Race

03 Jun 2015 10:41 #64124 by AdventureLisa
Any idea yet of Andrew's exact total distance and accumulative elevation gain and loss?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2015 14:19 #64125 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Hi guys

Thanks for all the support, encouragement and such like. Some of you seem to have spent as much time and energy following the dot as I put into the GT itself.

I will get around to a proper write up at some stage. At the moment though, I am back in Gauteng and just about everything I own is still in KZN, so please bear with me for a few days.

I will say that I am happy with my time and am in one piece even though I am a little stiff and sore in places.

I am not sure yet of the cumulated ascent or descent for the route but my GPS showed 202 km at the finish (the escarpment is shorter than the Jarateng by a good few km, but the extra ridges are some hard work)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, Richard Hunt, AdventureLisa, Iano2

More
18 Jan 2016 18:45 #66531 by ghaznavid
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, AndrewP

More
25 Nov 2021 15:59 #77328 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Resurrecting this old thread as the DGT race concept is actually happening! Graham Bird and Spurgeon Flemington are organising a race along the DGT route scheduled for November 2022. All details here: dgtrun.co.za/

Fred Richardson of Mindful Runner is doing a podcast series on the unsupported DGT FKTs that have happened so far, starting with his interview of Gavin Raubenheimer in last week's episode (www.mindfulrunner.co.za/dgt-the-pioneer/) and this week Fred and I had a chat about the various strategies to take into account when taking on this beast (www.mindfulrunner.co.za/dgt-the-custodian/)

Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tiska, firephish, ghaznavid, GriffBaker, Iano2

More
25 Nov 2021 18:41 - 25 Nov 2021 18:51 #77329 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
Just tuned into DGT-The Custodian.
It's a brilliant listen. Insightful, articulate and full of history - highly recommended.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2021 18:51 by tiska.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More
26 Nov 2021 10:25 #77330 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
And followed up now with DGT- the pioneer. Fascinating material from GR on the original concept and first race. Great to have that info in one place. GR offers some appealing ideas, like a race without GPS which maps on more closely to the first attempts. Similar to the Golden Globe round the world yacht race that emulates the aids sailors had in the first such race decades ago. 

More
26 Nov 2021 13:14 #77331 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Grand Traverse Record Race
I believe there will be an aid station at Sani so I'm wondering how accepted a race time will be if it gets near the list of FKTs, considering it wouldn't be unsupported.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
26 Nov 2021 14:36 #77332 by Stijn
@Viking, yes with the aid station at Sani and other forms of support like safety teams along the route, the race is considered as quite different to the spirit of the existing unsupported FKTs. The race organisers have acknowledged this on the race website and will be maintaining a separate race record and fastest times.

More
26 Nov 2021 14:49 - 26 Nov 2021 14:51 #77333 by Stijn
@Tiska - the no GPS navigation format is an interesting one and I also love the idea of making the challenge a more rounded one, requiring traditional mountain navigation skills as well. Very difficult to get right in practice unless you have a brand new route for every race as with adventure races. Simply banning GPS navigation on a race with the same route / checkpoints every year (as is done in the Freedom Challenge MTB race) just starts favouring repeat contenders over time. Regardless of navigation ability the racers who lose the least amount of time to navigation and getting lost are those that have done the route often enough that they simply navigate by memory only. Many of the top competitors in the Freedom Challenge (which is 2100km long btw) don't even bother to bring maps along with them anymore. Hence the rule ends up becoming more of a barrier to the potential competitiveness of first time racers (even if they are ace navigators).

Thankfully, the DGT is enough of a mountain challenge that teams who have taken the "download-GPS-route-and-give-it-a-go" approach have usually come off second best and quickly realised that the mountain experience required is a massive component.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2021 14:51 by Stijn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iano2

More