Tents

17 Feb 2019 18:48 - 18 Feb 2019 10:02 #74661 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Tents

Just received mine yesterday, very impressed with the quality so far. I am going to the Berg end of March and can't wait to use it.

Nice, please post a review once you've used it
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 10:02 by JonWells. Reason: Fixed quote

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2019 22:32 #74665 by Dispholidus
Replied by Dispholidus on topic Tents
Will do.

More
01 Mar 2019 19:12 - 01 Mar 2019 19:13 #74701 by khristiankowalski
Replied by khristiankowalski on topic Tents
I have looked through the thread, but have not seen a consensus on the requirement for a 4 season tent.  Many of the tents posted on the thread are 3, while some are 4 season.  My group has a number of really good 3 season tents (in anticipation of the question, we have a MSR Hubba Hubba and a Hilleberg Anjan GT).  We are looking at a number of 4 season options now, including that First Ascent Helio posted a few pages back, but before committing we would appreciate the forum's insight on 3 vs 4 season? (trekking period end March, mid April).  Khristian

Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 19:13 by khristiankowalski.

More
04 Mar 2019 13:20 - 04 Mar 2019 13:21 #74708 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Tents
4 season tents are by their very nature a bit heavier, but offers better protection. The old question of weight vs additional protection. Generally the main reason why I opted for a 4 season tent is protection against high winds, but in 99% of cases most decent 3 season tents will be fine in the Berg, especially in March to April. Mid winter is generally windier (my experience). That being said, the Berg creates its own weather and can throw anything at you, any time of the year - so check the weather reports before you start your mini traverse.

Note that while a 3 season tent will be sufficient for 99% of the time, that 1% when the Berg gets really angry it can destroy your tent. In the end its a combination of risk vs weight vs cost ratio that you need to be comfortable with. I'd be happy with a 3 season tent for myself, but whenever my wive comes along I pack the 4 season tent. That is, until I got both of us bivvies :-)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 13:21 by Riaang.

More