Down Jackets

25 Sep 2012 05:44 #55321 by ClimbyKel
Down Jackets was created by ClimbyKel
Check out this down jacket. Incredibly light, amazingly warm!

www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-ghost-whisperer-down-jacket-womens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 10:31 #58610 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Down Jackets
Hi all, I am in the market for a down jacket. Besides the First Ascent and K-Way models, is there anything else I should be looking for, or that you recommend?

More
30 Sep 2013 10:41 #58611 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Down Jackets
I got this one last month when it was on a 50% off sale - www.hi-tecdirect.co.za/product.php?prdId=332
Haven't really put it to the test yet though, its got 700 fill down which seems to be pretty good

More
30 Sep 2013 12:16 #58614 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Down Jackets
A tad unorthodox - but Icebreaker makes a fleece that combined with a wind breaker is equivalent to a down jacket. I think its this one www.mountainmailorder.co.za/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2558

One of the ladies on GT last year was using an Icebreaker fleece. Advantages are mostly that it doesn't become useless when wet, it can be worn with a backpack and it dries quickly. Its also easier to wash. Roughly no difference on weight (although I'm not 100% sure on this point).

I haven't tried this particular one, but I have an Icebreaker shirt that is supposed to be a base layer. It is thinner than the above and has often been too hot for the Berg even when worn with nothing over or under it (its great when its cold).

I have also tried Icebreaker socks and they were also often too hot for general Berg use. Great when its cold though.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins
The following user(s) said Thank You: hasamatt

More
30 Sep 2013 13:37 #58615 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Down Jackets
Try the Cape Storm Down jacket. You can pick them up at Sportsman's Warehouse. The construction is very good compared to the equivalent first Ascent, i.e. Box baffle construction vs sewn through baffles; 650 Fill Goose Down. Retails for about R1,499.00 vs the fA at R1,999.00. They're getting scarce though because CS is no longer manufacturing them since Holdesport took over, plus they were made locally while the fA jacket is made in China.

More
30 Sep 2013 14:29 #58616 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Down Jackets
a friend of mine got a really nice Colombia down jacket from their outlet store at under R 1000. Their primaloft jackets with silver lining that reflects body heat are also very good and can function better than down in wet conditions

More
30 Sep 2013 14:32 #58618 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Down Jackets
Drifters also stock Mountain Equipment lightweight down jackets which are brilliant at under 2k cost

More
30 Sep 2013 16:15 #58619 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Down Jackets
Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look at the Cape Storm and Columbia jackets.
I've researched PrimaLoft a fair bit. I'd love to give it a try but its a bit expensive to 'gamble' with.
One of the things that concerns me with the CS jacket is its only 650 fill down. I'd prefer at least 800 fill. I think the FA is higer than 650, but can't confirm.

More
30 Sep 2013 18:59 #58623 by Chappies
Replied by Chappies on topic Down Jackets
I use the First Ascent Malamute Down Jacket. It is more of an expedition jacket which I have not yet used in the berg. I have however tested it on Mt Aconcagua in -25C and it was brilliant!

First Ascent Website - Malamute Jacket

More
01 Oct 2013 06:40 - 01 Oct 2013 06:44 #58630 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Down Jackets
Also got the CS High Down Jacket. Black and rated down to -14. Intrepid has got a groovy jacket, don't think it has a hood, but it is very light and packs small.

See the pic of him in the northern berg trip 2012.

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakensberg-trips/55358-northern-berg-photo-trip-august-2012.html#55436
Last edit: 01 Oct 2013 06:44 by Serious tribe.

More