Down Jackets

01 Oct 2013 08:48 #58639 by Captain
Replied by Captain on topic Down Jackets
I'd looked at both the fA Glacier Extreme and CS High Down jackets when I was looking to buy a down jacket a few years ago. At the time, the fA retailed for R1,600 while the CS jacket was selling for around R2,500. I contacted Ian at Capestorm to try and get an understanding of why the CS retail price was considerably higher than the fA at that time. He explained that the down used in their jacket was from Poland and was purchased from a reputable supplier and that the CS jacket was manufactured using a box baffle configuration vs the fA's cheaper sewn through baffles. Boxed baffles are much warmer than sewn through baffles.

The North Face Nuptse jacket was another alternative which I considered as it has a 700 power fill rating but it also has a sewn through baffle construction - Due South used to stock it and it used to retail for about R1,800.

The fA Malamut was another consideration, but wasn't really a contender as it is a great expedition jacket but wasn't suitable for my needs. In the end I bought the CS jacket after Holdesport took over and dropped the retail price by a grand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2013 09:45 #58641 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Down Jackets
@ST: Thanks. I think I'd choose one without a hood anyway. Do you know what brand/model Intrepid's jacket is?

@Captain: I'll try find one at that price!

More
01 Oct 2013 09:49 #58642 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Down Jackets
:ohmy: one thing not being mentioned is the weight...

My research on jackets highlighted a trend toward lighter down "sweaters". That is jackets that weigh less than 400gm's.

I have a TNF Nuptse since 2003 which I have used in Nepal and it's actually very warm but weighs 650gm's and is bulky. I have since bought a lighter down jacket for the Berg which is a Patagonia Down Sweater at 340gm's. It's very warm considering it's weight and packs into a tiny ball in my pack.

Having both, there are very few conditions in which I wouldn't opt for my Patagonia jacket. It allows me to pack an extra mid layer for more versatility too. That's why I mentioned the lightweight jacket options - it's changed my view.

Hope this is useful?

More
01 Oct 2013 10:41 #58647 by Josh of the Bushveld
Fair point. How easy is it to find that kind of kit in SA?
(Bit irritated, my dad has just come back from the US)

More
01 Oct 2013 11:12 #58651 by ASL
you can get it but you pay too much... Drifter sell ME stuff which isn't as light as the best US stuff.

The best is to order on Amazon and get it delivered to someone who is coming over here.

Mountainmailorder sell so very good Mountainhardwear jackets but the just went up a lot in price. There were around R1800 which was okay but now they are about R 2500 I think. I paid R 1700 for my Patagonia jacket and it was worth every cent. Montbell is a Japaneses company that gets excellent reviews in US and they are very well priced so I would look at them. The difficulty is getting the sizing right without being able to try it on.

I have a couple of Patagonia Jackets that I bought in France already so I know I fit medium. US manufactures can be a little bigger in their sizing so be careful. It's good to assess pricing by checking sites like Backpacker and do your own rand conversion. Hope this helps! :)

More
01 Oct 2013 11:30 #58653 by Josh of the Bushveld
Yeah sizing could be an issue.
I can't seem to find the Cape Storm online anywhere, will try find it in the shops.
Thanks for the tips.

Would anyone say either the FA or K-Way jacket is a poor purchase? Would I be wasting my money with them?

More
01 Oct 2013 12:13 #58655 by ASL
after all I've said I think they are both pretty respectable kit. The specs on both the K Way Ortler and FA Glacier seem quite respectable. I would probably give the edge to the FA jacket with it's 85/15 down and good looking outer fabric (and it's slightly cheaper)

my only other suggestion is to check out the Columbia outlet store because they have some great stuff at low prices...

More
01 Oct 2013 17:31 #58657 by Josh of the Bushveld
I will definitely check in at the Columbia outlet, as well as drifters and ventures for Africa. Thanks again

More
01 Oct 2013 17:50 #58658 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Down Jackets

@ST: Thanks. I think I'd choose one without a hood anyway. Do you know what brand/model Intrepid's jacket is?

Its a Cape Storm something-or-other - can't remember what the model is and it doesn't say on the jacket. I think its 600 down and I paid R700 for it. Still going strong. I've used it mainly in the Berg, and a little bit in the Himalayas, as a base-camp type of insulation. I don't consider it to be an active-wear type of jacket. This is big consideration too when buying jackets: wearing it actively vs using it as insulation around camp.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
02 Oct 2013 10:23 #58662 by ASL
:laugh: Now I'm messing with you... You can now get hydrophobic down jackets! - and sleeping bags

Check this out: www.backpacker.com/fall-winter-gear-guide-2012-the-science-behind-water-repellent-down/gear/16903

More