Down Jackets

21 May 2014 14:41 #60804 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Down Jackets
it's good for me.. I have been using my Patagonia Down sweater for a couple of years now. In snow conditions/ sleeping in caves in winter it's perfect for me.

I also have a TNF Redpoint jacket which has Primaloft fill and it's also far warmer than any fleece I own. PS. I do own the warmest type of fleece available - MHW Monkeyman and a Mountain Equipment Guide jacket.

Basically it's no competition between fleece and the puffy jackets. I discovered this on a holiday to Chamonix in 2007. The agent for our accomodation told us it was Spring time and quite warm. We took our warmest fleece gear and thermals just in case. Well it was too cold for us to be on the street at all. I had to go to one of the mountaineering shops and bought our first lightweight synthetic puffy jackets (TNF Redpoint). It was no problem on the slopes with these, while with our best windproof fleece and thermal were completely inadequate!

Don't worry too much about variations in warmth between down sweaters. My Patagonia jacket is warmer than the TNF but the synthetic fill is still more than good. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 14:52 #60805 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Down Jackets
That redpoint jacket looks very similar to the First Ascent Prima jacket. Also Primaloft.

I've recently bought and busy comparing the k-way drake (R1100) which is a 650 fill duck-down jacket weighing around 300 grms and the FA Prima (R600 on special)which is a primaloft jacket weighing 400 odd grams.

I bought both to compare and will return one so I've only worn them inside the house.

Not sure which is warmer yet. The prima is probably more versatile. It's proving a tough decision though!

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
21 May 2014 15:00 #60806 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Down Jackets
I'm wary of heading up there with potentially inadequate gear.

I also came close to buying the FA PrimaLoft jacket but decided on the CS Belay for R100 more (hood, 2-way zip etc).

I also have a 300-weight FA fleece used to summit Kilimanjaro, but its huge and heavy.

More
21 May 2014 17:07 #60813 by ASL
this is going to hurt you...

Have a look at Montbell.us site. They have the lightest kit I have ever seen! Down jackets with 1000 fill down at 4.8gms!

My Patagonia Jacket is 340gm and is very warm but these things defy gravity :sick:

imho there are 2 distinct trends with a 3rd new variation for more breathable puffy jackets for active use. The first stream is super light and warm down jackets while the 2nd trend is for water resistant jackets which will function in wet conditions that challenge down jackets. This consists of either synthetic fill jacket which will keep you warm even when wet and the new "Dri-Down" jackets with down that is treated and will also function in wet conditions.

Gotta love this gear that makes more extreme options viable for us :evil:

More
22 May 2014 07:57 - 22 May 2014 08:05 #60818 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Down Jackets

Have a look at Montbell.us site.

Just when I thought I had seen it all! :P

But jeez, that 4.8oz down jacket you mentioned looks crazy, thats 136 grams!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 22 May 2014 08:05 by JonWells.

More
22 May 2014 09:48 #60827 by Josh of the Bushveld
Hahaha. I have a sleeveless down 'waistcoat' from climbing Kilimanjaro, pretty much the predecessor to the FA Alaska. That down T looks decidedly odd

More
30 May 2014 11:32 #60911 by ASL
I gave this some thought and you are right, it's a hard choice. My down jackect has become my go to for the mountains because I just love the warmth and weight. That said I get more general use from my Redpoint Jacket and wear it when travelling and for a lot of more casual situations. I think both have place. If I had to choose an new item it would be water resistant down but this would cost a bit...

More
30 May 2014 14:06 #60918 by Josh of the Bushveld
Yeah, so my question is, since I have the Hi-Tec down sweater, the FA down sleeveless, and the CS Belay, is it necessary and/or justifiable to spend another R1 200 on a CS High Down jacket for winter on the 'berg? (Bearing in mind I submitted Kili with a base layer, heavy fleece, FA down sleeveless and hard shell, and I survived fine in that cold).

More
30 May 2014 14:24 #60919 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Down Jackets
I would venture a no to that question josh.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
30 May 2014 14:58 #60920 by Josh of the Bushveld

I would venture a no to that question josh.

:) So what combination would you take for a winter 'berg trip?

More