Hiking Boots

29 Jan 2010 16:52 #924 by Scag
Replied by Scag on topic Hiking Boots
Regarding gortex, the beauty with this material is that it is breathable. Thats what gortex boots are designed for; breathability.

I detest Hitec because none of their boots have closed tongues. Personally, a closed tongue is a non-negotiable requirement for hiking boots. In my opinion, a boot without a closed tongue cannot be regarded as waterproof. Also, Hitec are fond of material, as opposed to genuine leather.

This is why I like the local Jim Greens. They come standard in genuine leather, with a closed tongue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2010 15:13 - 31 Jan 2010 15:15 #930 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Hiking Boots
I used to have La Sportiva Thunders and had to take them back as they weren't even close to being waterproof. The Goretex layer only went halfway up the inside of the boots! Maybe they've fixed this on the newer models?

Traded them in for a pair of Tibets and am very impressed with these!
Last edit: 31 Jan 2010 15:15 by Stijn.

More
24 Apr 2010 13:53 #1217 by MountainGoat
Replied by MountainGoat on topic Hiking Boots
Hi everyone,

as the thread states: I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots.

I'm having a pair of Beck's which might still last me for the better part of the year, but I'm intending to buy a pair & walk them "in" before some serious hiking.

Haven't decided what I want to spend, but I want a proper hiking boot this time around. Is thaere a store that I can buy some (more serious) Scarpas?

Heard the Montrails are pretty good too. How about the Torre GTX?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Jacques

More
27 Apr 2010 08:53 #1224 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Hiking Boots
Haven't used either brand personally, but they seem to be reputable. I know Drifters in Joburg have stocked Montrails before. You could also try Hikers Paradise in Centurion, if you can get there. Haven't been to either store for a while, so not sure what they have in stock. Check out mountainmailorder.co.za, they have a pair of old style Torre GTX's on special currently. Check out www.mammothoutdoor.co.za for some Scarpas. Let me know what you land up getting and where, since I'll be scouting around for new boots too in the next while.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
03 May 2010 14:08 #1248 by Toasty102
Replied by Toasty102 on topic Hiking Boots
From what I know (used to sell hiking boots a while back), the Montrail Torre GTX are fairly lightweight i.e. not as rugged as some Scarpa's. I would use them for light trekking - a few days in 'Berg at the limit. I decided on a pair of Asolo Flame GTX (found on gumtree for R1500) as they seemed a bit more robust and supportive. However, it looks like the soles won't last very long on these and would suggest a boot with Vibram soles (based on past experience). Take a look at the La Sportiva Makalu when you're in CT - I think mountainmailorder has them...They're old, but bullet-proof.

Good luck

More
05 May 2010 13:20 #1259 by MountainGoat
Thanx for those replies so far. Checked on mammothoutdoor & mountainmailorder. At Drifters & phoned Hikers Paradise.

Seems like the LA Sportiva Karakorum with Gortex www.mammothoutdoor.co.za/la-sportiva-karakorum-mens-mountaineering-boot-p31995.html

or the LA Sportiva Makalu www.mountainmailorder.co.za/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=469

or the La Sportiva Val Di Fem at Drifters (R3 300) are the "best" money investments for boots.

The Montrails has a different rubber lining along the "bend-side" of the boot & I'm pretty sure it'll start to deteriorate there quite quickly.

Will let you guys know on what I've decided.

PS: Has anyone tried to import boots from (eg.) Italy or the USA?

More
05 May 2010 13:53 #1260 by Toasty102
I'd opt for the Karakoram GTX for that kind of money. Global warming = more rain! However, I would still look on gumtree, climb.co.za etc. A guy bought my Asolo's in from the States (He paid $210, plus duties and postage) and they were too small! That's why I got them for R1500 brand new!

These boots are half the price overseas - we get ripped badly here. But, the risks of incorrect sizing are high.

More
05 May 2010 15:18 #1263 by mike
Replied by mike on topic Hiking Boots
I bought a pair of Salomon scs Gtx last year and so far they have been bomb proof. They are light weight , comfi , breathable and very supportive. Ive used them in the Berg during very wet days and in the Fish River Canyon and my feet have stayed dry.I use their trail running shoes to and im very happy with them. They are becoming a bit of a "yuppie" brand but there older boots I still find good. is there any reason this brand has been left out?

More
05 May 2010 15:26 #1265 by Toasty102
This thread was focusing on heavier weight boots - for mountaineering as far as I could tell. The Salomon boots generally are good as you say (lightweight, breathable etc) but are not as rugged as the other boots mentioned. the SCS however looks teh part, but I have never seen it in SA. The trail shoes are undoubtably the best I have used - for approach and trail-running. The grip is phenomenal and they last long.

More
07 May 2010 18:21 #1277 by MountainGoat
No real reason why the Salomons were left out. I just own a pair & they hurt the ball of my foot the last time I did a 4 day hike from Sentinel - Cathedral Peak Hotel & they're still fairly new.

More