Hiking Boots

08 Apr 2011 17:31 #2673 by Digz
Replied by Digz on topic Hiking Boots
I have had some interesting thoughts recently about using very light boots. I looked at the Salomon Men's Cosmic 4D GTX Boots (here : www.capeunionmart.co.za/get_it/category/default.php?fk_category_id=26). This got me thinking about using even lighter trail running shoes for summer berg trips. The speedcross 2 is about R1199. Yes, you don't have the ankle support...but if you are a light, fit person, then the idea of sacrificing support for weight (these weigh next to nothing and have a super sticky sole), is quite appealing. (compared to my leather La Sportiva's). They may not last as long but then again...they may. I see these guys running over rugged terain in the X-Terra type events and my thinking is that I may be stuck in the "must have heavy leather boots" mindset, whereas newer technologies now allow us to use much lighter trail running shoes. Obviously I'm not talking about Winter summit trips...any one else thinking similar thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2011 09:35 #2679 by Otterjasie
Replied by Otterjasie on topic Hiking Boots
Hey!

Go to seven sumits and have a look at their La Sportiva's (Ranging from R1.5k to 2.3k). Rano bought a pair of La Sportiva's before our Cathedral trip from Drifters and he is very satisfied.

Tjorts
III

More
11 Apr 2011 15:46 #2684 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Hiking Boots
@Digz - I've used trail runners in the berg a number of times... especially useful when you're undertaking a lightweight, speedy, long-distance traverse B)

However, if it snows, you will suffer... And I have sprained my ankle wearing trail runners in the berg before, so you need to concentrate on your foot placement a lot more.

My choice of whether to wear trail runners or boots comes down to season, daily distances planned and passes to be used. Trail runners on Icidi Pass would not be my idea of fun!

More
12 Apr 2011 09:08 #2686 by Otterjasie
Replied by Otterjasie on topic Hiking Boots
Since you are planning to haul your normal hiking gear + trad climbing gear up the mountain I would argue that proper support is a necessity, not a luxury. Thus I would suggest boots. Furthermore I am still not confident about fabric's ability to endure the type of shrubbery regularly encountered and feel that leather is more durable.

On a light summer/spring trip trail runners can be a good idea, especially when you use a type that dries out easily.

More
12 Apr 2011 12:59 #2687 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Hiking Boots
@gollum: never heard of Adidas hiking boots before. Try them and let us know...especially if they do fall apart half-way through your hike. :evil: Doubt it though. Don't think stitching is a problem, and Gortex does help but wears out fairly quickly in my experience.

@Digz: I've just worn out a pair of Salomon Revos which are similar in some ways to the Cosmics. They are very light, fully synthetic and mostly glued together (not stitched). They did well, but the uppers are taking strain now. Sole is still totally fine. Will try extend their life for summer hiking with that black silicon for cars. With leather boots you tend to wear out the sole long before the upper.

I agree with Stijn, really depends on what you are doing, terrain, distance, weather, pack weight, and also the kind of person you are. Consider the porters in Nepal who carry big loads in cheap runners and flops while the trekkers follow with a day pack and hard core trekking boots. I find I'm building up different boots for a variety of occasions and activities.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
14 Apr 2011 11:26 - 14 Apr 2011 11:28 #2707 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Hiking Boots
Well I bought them and did one short hike with them, up and down Table Mountain (think Corner Pass - steep hiking and some serious scrambling) with a light load. Very satisfied so far. They are HEAVY!!! But they look extremely sturdy. Will post a "review" when I return.

Otterjasie, I think you will be impressed, but let's see if I survive the trip first!

@tribe: Indeed! I'm living in Cape Town now so the berg is now a rather serious proposition!
Last edit: 14 Apr 2011 11:28 by gollum.

More
13 Jul 2011 18:51 - 13 Jul 2011 18:55 #3314 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Re: Hiking Boots
Seeing that this topic is 18 months old, I'm sure there is plenty of new boots and opinions on boots by now. At the time of this topic it is said that the La Sportiva Tibet's sold for R3k+ but is now available for R2k. My heart is leaning toward the Tibets although my bank manager would object. I've read numerous reviews on boots and it is very difficult to compare the reviews as some are indefinably written by someone that has tested the boots on a soft trail in dry conditions carrying a light pack. I have however read an awesome review of the Karrimor Skye-X-Lite Event boots of which no-one on this forum have ever said anything about. Its got all the empty promises of 100% waterproof like claimed by all other good boots, and it's got the proven Virbram soles.

Can someone please advise?

Thx.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2011 18:55 by Boerkie.

More
04 Sep 2011 12:29 #3919 by jacodp
Replied by jacodp on topic Re: Hiking Boots

On La Sportiva Tibet. I own a pair (for the last few years) and must admit that in wet conditions that have VERY poor grip against the rock face. And in Drakensberg you have plenty of wet boulders that you have to negotiate with your backpack. They are very tough shoes and I have never had problems with their waterproofing, but you have to trust your grip and I just think that the Vibram soles are not right ones for Drakensberg. In dry conditions however they are excellent hiking boots.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
02 Nov 2011 12:43 #4596 by Kragbees
Replied by Kragbees on topic Re: Hiking Boots
Just finished our Injasuti to Cathedral Peak 5 day hike. 2 nights in tent, 2 nights in caves (upper indumeni and didima). Was awesome, but very tough for us 2 unfit blokes.

Must say my Tibets did not cause me any problems (no blisters/plasters ever), and their grip in dry conditions are awesome. My feet feel like I never even walked 60km.

Bought mine 1.5 years ago for R2200 I think.

More
02 Nov 2011 13:30 #4598 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Re: Hiking Boots
I bought a pair of Hi-Tec V-lite Altitude Ultra Luxe Wpi boots a couple of weeks ago.

I know most members are Anti-Hi-Tec but had a good look at the boot and it had all the features needed:
1. Waterproof - I know this is a running joke among VE members but so far it really seemed to be keeping out the water. I must add I do use Nikwax and could not yet test it on day-after-day wet weather.
2. Proper lace eyelets
3. Gusseted tongue
4. Virbram soles
5. Leather body
6. Comfy, removable insole
7. Light weight

It was however like leaving my feet at a Chinese torture school for a week breaking in the boots. The biggest problem is the stupid seam that crosses exactly at your ankle bones. Hi-tec and all other boot manufacturers should force the designers thereof to actually wear the boots. Maybe then they will start to think before adding seams just for looks. Overcoming this it seems to be a decent boot. I would've liked some sort of protection over the toe section as these takes a lot of beating on rocky trails. The leather on mine have scuffed quite a bit on the short trip I just did.

Will I buy them again? Ummm maybe, pending how long they survive.

The biggest reason I bought them in the first place is that they were the only decent boots CUM sells. Have looked at the Tibets at Drifters after my purchase and they seem great, but also lacks the protection over the toes and costs R500 more.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More