Hiking Boots

08 Jun 2010 10:11 #1359 by MountainGoat
Replied by MountainGoat on topic Hiking Boots
I came across these boots recently:

www.freetime1.co.uk/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1&ModelID=2351

What do you guys think about it?

My brother is coming back from the UK so he'll bring me a pair. He said the normal shipping would work out to 37UK pounds & that still leaves you with a very good pair of boots for R2400

Will post a short review after trying out these beauties

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2010 09:53 #1399 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Hiking Boots
Can give the La Sportiva makalu's a big thumbs up.
Had mine for a good few years now.
The nubuck suede requires a few waterproofing treatments, but have used in snow a number of times and had no real issues [used with snow gators].
The soles have a rand that extends up the sides of the boot which not only protects the lower rolled edge from damage but also protects your feet from the pressure often felt from rocks when in lighter boots.
The front [toe] of the rand has progressively pulled away from the uppers over the last few years, but i have just recently filled this gap and 'painted' on a a full toe rand using Plascon Bakkie Bin Liner. Worked sweet !
I have a wide foot and a number of the makes like Solamon and Asolo are too narrow.

ST is on his second pair and it appears that the soles are no longer vibram though !!??
Although they have now included a full toe rand, higher ankle cuff, and modified the toe lace eyes and placed them higher on the toe.

A stong, rugged boot, with sufficient flex.
Many of the boots that one can purchase in SA are light trekking boots. The rock in the high berg, as well as the snow, really dictates a good mountain boot. Especially if one is planning on winter hikes.
Note to that: the toe and heel of the soles have built in crampon grooves.

Bucks to shell out, but in my experience worth it.

More
23 Jun 2010 07:15 - 23 Jun 2010 07:35 #1415 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Hiking Boots
One of my regular Berg buddies also wears the Makalus and seems happy with them for the most part. A little too heavy for my own taste if it's just light scrambling or normal hiking. Serious, hardcore boot though. Combined with more serious climbing, especially crampons, they are great. I had my own pair some years back, but I sized them wrongly, which only became apparent once I wore a heavy pack. They didn't give me blisters, but simply sheared the skin right off my heals. This was on the second day of a 2 week trip in the Himalayas, and I completed most of that trek in flip flops as a result. :laugh:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2010 07:35 by intrepid.

More
04 Jan 2011 14:41 #2142 by MountainGoat
Replied by MountainGoat on topic Hiking Boots
Hey guys & gals,

As the title states I've received my Scarpa Manta boots yesterday & I have to say WOW!!! Only took them for a little 20 min stroll this morning in the field.

It seems like a perfect fit straight out the box. Could'nt fir them beforehand, but & know the sizes of my other boots have been 46, so I ordered these accordingly.

They are very similar to the La Sportiva Karakorum & a bit more heavy duty as the Val Di Fiemme

I'll post a short review after a weekend hike with these. Not going to take them for a 4-5days quite yet...

More
07 Jan 2011 08:48 #2160 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Hiking Boots
Look forward to the review. Enjoy!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
07 Jan 2011 09:42 #2162 by SeriousTribe2
JacquesBuys wrote:

Hey guys & gals,

As the title states I've received my Scarpa Manta boots yesterday & I have to say WOW!!! Only took them for a little 20 min stroll this morning in the field.

It seems like a perfect fit straight out the box. Could'nt fir them beforehand, but & know the sizes of my other boots have been 46, so I ordered these accordingly.

They are very similar to the La Sportiva Karakorum & a bit more heavy duty as the Val Di Fiemme

I'll post a short review after a weekend hike with these. Not going to take them for a 4-5days quite yet...

STRIKE A POSE THERE JACQUESBUYS - PHOTO OP SIR. THEY CAN EVEN BE SLIGHTLY MUDDIED.

(This has just given me and idea! Watch the space ;) )

More
07 Jan 2011 12:12 #2165 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic Hiking Boots
@ ST2 : I have a pic of an 'injured' La Sportiva Tibet if that's your 'field of interest' :laugh:

Seriously, will I am keen to read reviews of other boots available in the market ... and then still go out and buy ANOTHER pair of Tibets :)

More
10 Jan 2011 23:02 #2198 by SeriousTribe2
@Magan

Post it if it was injured in action!

Imagine the storys they could tell if they could speak (and not just smell!):lol:

More
08 Apr 2011 07:32 #2670 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Hiking Boots
Hey all

My old Hi-Tec Altitudes are starting to show the end of their days. They weren't good boots to start with, but they've seen me through many hikes without problem. However I have a 8 or 9 day Drakensberg hike ahead of me and I don't want to run into footwear trouble halfway!

I came across the Adidas Super Trekking Formotion Gore-Tex boots in Cape Union Mart, which is on clearout promotion. They felt really good, but I'm not so sure about durability. They look sturdy, but they have stitching all over, something that always bothers me.

Any opinions on Adidas boots? Or stitching and Gore-Tex in general? Some allege that Gore-Tex is a marketing stunt and that it makes no sense to layer Gore-Tex under leather.

More
08 Apr 2011 10:09 - 08 Apr 2011 10:33 #2671 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Hiking Boots
Hey Gollum, long time no hear.

Goretex works well, in boots though you have to ensure that you remove any small pieces of grit as it can damage the lining. However you would likely do that at the end of each hike anyway. I have never had stitching go on a boot so i would not think that is to much of an issue. The only review i found was here, but it was for an old model boot. www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=1&UTN=3128 I also found this from an adidas pdf -'while Reinhold Messner, famed climber and mountaineer, will serve as brand ambassador for SuperTREKKING'.

I don't think he would back a lemon.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2011 10:33 by Serious tribe.

More