Winter hiking in the Drakensberg

30 Mar 2014 14:48 #60093 by hikers delight
Definitely go for a warmer sleeping bag. The liner will not add that much warmth. Ice breaker is a good investment and although a bit more expensive, you will probably be using it for more berg hikes in the future, even when its not mid winter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2014 15:11 #60094 by ghaznavid
I fought with the shoe one for years - you want waterproof you get La Sportiva Tibets. Simple as that. Salomon Gortek boots are great, they just don't last very long.

I agree with what everyone has said - get a sleeping bag. Simple equation: your feet get wet (maybe from dew or stepping in a river, perhaps a day of snow hiking) - you have cold wet feet, its uncomfortable and can get annoying. It accounts for some extra weight too. Your sleeping bag isn't warm enough you get left with a few options:
- spooning with your tent mate (and pretending it never happened)
- hoping that a space blanket does the trick, if you pull this off you will be soaked the next morning due to all the sweat, and it will not be a nice night
- either surviving a cold and uncomfortable night or needing a body-bag

If you can find someone who stocks Mountain Hardware sleeping bags, get one of theirs. I alternate between 2 bags - a K-Way Killi 2 (down) and a Mountain Hardware Pinole (synthetic -4 comfort). My MH one is lighter and often warmer. It also only cost R900. That being said - if you find someone who stocks MH bags in SA, please let me know. Bush 'n Bundu in PMB stocks them, not sure who else.

Also remember that winter weather is highly variable - when I went up Gray's pass last year around the end of June we had beautiful weather. A cold front came over the next day which meant it was warm (although the river still froze overnight). You can also get these insane -15 days. Tents also add 4 or so degrees.

I once tried a bag liner, never used it again.

I take it you know the "sleep in underwear" rule - the colder you are in a sleeping bag, the less clothing you should wear. There is a long discussion on this somewhere on VE, but it is a simple fact. Don't believe me - sleep in all your clothes until you are really cold, then take off most of your clothes and see how quickly you warm up. Space blankets also don't work through clothing. Put them in your clothes or wrap them around yourself when only dressed in your inners, otherwise they don't do anything.

More
31 Mar 2014 07:39 #60097 by JonWells
I have the thermashift, and I have now decided to take it on all hikes to the escarpment, even in summer. I used to take up my K-Way chamonix, but I was still a bit chilly in it on some nights.

Although the thermashift is about 600g heavier, the extra weight is worth it to ensure a comfortable night's sleep :thumbsup:

More
31 Mar 2014 07:53 #60098 by Josh of the Bushveld
you'll use the TheramaShift or Ice Breaker (whichever you choose) in the 'berg all year round (at least I do), so its not a terrible investment. I've had my ice breaker since mid-2001, and still enjoying it very much.

More
31 Mar 2014 09:28 #60099 by ruthtbl
I have tried liners to add warmth and I would definitely not recommend it. Rather buy a slightly more expensive, higher rated sleeping bag - it is worth the money! I have slept in both the Ice Breaker and the K-way Thermashift, and I found them to be pretty similar in terms of warmth, but do try them out in the store before you buy. Make sure that the hood and zips and baffles around your face are going to be comfortable if you cinch the hood tight when it is cold.

More
31 Mar 2014 09:40 #60100 by Mr T
Thanks for the awesome advice.

Decided to go for the Thermashift, being almost R1000 cheaper than the Ice breaker.
I've heard great things about both the Thermashift and the ice breaker so the price was the sway vote in the end... :P

I'm going to head up in my Merrell Chameleons as I believe it is drier in winter months (unless there is snowfall).
There is still 3 months until the trip and perhaps a good deal on waterproof hiking boots pops up in the near future?

Thermashift special is only until 4 April so need to get it this week.

There isnt a place on the internet that I have recieved this much great info and thanks to all for the advice.
P.S Im sure there will be a few more questions before June... ;)

More
31 Mar 2014 11:42 #60102 by hasamatt
Hey Mr T, I purchased the Thermashift II a week and a half ago at the special price. We are gearing up for a berg trip up Cockade Pass at the end of April. I am expecting great results from the Sleeping bag. We will see how my wife enjoys hers on the trip.

We will be sure to post a review on the sleeping bag once we have returned. I will definitely be keen to hear your thoughts on the bag once you have taken up in June. Good luck!

More
31 Mar 2014 12:47 #60104 by Mr T
Hi Hasamatt

Thanks a mil.
Been to 2 cape union marts this morning and sold out.
Hunt continues tomorrow... :P

That would be great if you culd let us know how it went.

Good luck and safe hiking!!

More
31 Mar 2014 12:50 #60106 by ghaznavid

Mr T wrote: Been to 2 cape union marts this morning and sold out.

Should be available online.

More
31 Mar 2014 14:44 #60111 by ghaznavid
Btw - I have used mine twice. Once in caves, 2 nights at about 2700m (Jarding Cave and Giant's Cave). The first day was before a cold front, the 2nd morning a cold front had hit and there was snow outside. I wasn't cold, but it wasn't the most testing conditions. The other time I used it was also after a cold front - but I didn't reach the escarpment on that hike. It was also toasty on that hike.

It is a very comfortable bag, but the weight is actually 1.6kg contrary to what they claim.

More