Corner Pass / Judge Pass, Mafadi, Leslie's Pass Loop

27 Feb 2019 11:37 #74691 by Riaang
Hi Dave,

The Around the Corner Pass variation can be done without a rope, BUT a rope is certainly helpful, especially in wet, snowy or icy weather. I've done it a couple of times, mostly fair weather except the last time in the rain. There are a couple of smooth rock bands to cross which can get "interesting" in the wet! Ropes just add a big safety margin in risky situations.

Another variation is the NHA (Northern high approach), although this doesn't bypass the chimney section on Corner pass, but rather gets you to the start of the chimney faster, and over a shorter distance. Just watch out for that first rock band you have to get through, it is steep and in the wet (which I've done) again risky. Lots of steep drop-offs below you, if you start sliding here I don't know where you will eventually stop, but you will most likely go down all the way to the valley floor, which is far far down.

In inclement weather the safer option would be to use Judges pass. Also steep at the top but with way less exposure risk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2019 13:27 - 27 Feb 2019 13:29 #74692 by diverian
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 13:29 by diverian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More