Mike's Pass

08 Jan 2018 10:23 #72590 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Mikes pass
Thank you to everyone for their input.

We descended the organ pipes yesterday, it was tough going as we managed a brisk 5 hours from Rolands to didima camp, 19ks.

The weather was extremely hot and we struggled in the heat from very early in the day.

In terms of the route, by the time we got to the jeep track around the top of Mikes pass we were seriously low on water so Tony's suggestion was the only real option in hope of finding water when we hit the road.

We started the descend off the jeep track close to the weather station, which when looking back it was probably to soon, and we should have stuck on the jeep track for a bit longer and then started the descend, but some walking through nobbly grass (sorry I need to correct Dave, as icidi pass last week was bundu bashing, what we did was reasonably pleasant in comparison :whistle: ), we got to a point where I expected the top of the zig zags to be and started looking for them as I could see the bend in the road so I knew we were close.

I found the zig zags easy enough by being in the right place, but they are fairly over grown with grass, once you are on them you can make them out and get down to the jeep track. When looking for the Zig Zags the day before they are visible from the top of Tryme hill.

Before we got to the drain under the road we could hear the water running through it, which was a relief as I had been out of water, thanks Tony.

The next shortcut we were going to attempt was from the jeep track, around the staff accommodation, to the river and up to Didima, but we had just seen a massive puff adder on the road very close to where we wanted to take the shortcut, and to be honest I lost my nerve to head through the grass to the river not seeing what was under foot, so we make our way down to the gate at the bottom of mikes pass and then up to Didima. There is no visible path at all between the staff accommodation and the Didima camp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2021 16:49 #76442 by elandman
Replied by elandman on topic Mike's Pass
Apologies for the resurrection of a 2yo dead thread :P

Does anyone have any current information on Mikes Pass?
We intend to make the trip there tomorrow from Champagne Valley.

We tried phoning Didima Reception just now but they are closed for the day.
Planning our day tomorrow over the braai tonight.

Cheers

More
18 Jan 2021 18:05 #76443 by Grandeur
Replied by Grandeur on topic Mike's Pass
We were there last weekend and sadly a lift up Mikes Pass is a no go as it is closed.
Even if you beg and offer to throw money at the issue, it still won’t happen.
Enjoy your hike
The following user(s) said Thank You: elandman

More
19 Jan 2021 00:15 #76444 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mike's Pass

elandman wrote: Apologies for the resurrection of a 2yo dead thread :P

It's still very much a valid topic!

I think the repair costs are fairly high and it doesn't look like the economy and budgets are allowing it to happen very quickly.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elandman

More
19 Jan 2021 07:47 #76445 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mike's Pass
The only vehicles allowed up Mikes Pass are research vehicles and MCSA members heading to Cambalala.
The road is a little rough at the moment, but drivable in a vehicle with highish clearance

More
29 Jan 2021 14:48 #76471 by elandman
Replied by elandman on topic Mike's Pass
Thanks all.

Yeah, Didima Office eventually answered their phone after a few days trying :P
Very much closed to public :(

But yes looking to go stay at Cambabala soon. My vehicle is a DC 4x4... so shouldn't be an issue.

More