Cockade Pass

23 Jul 2021 12:05 #77056 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Cockade Pass

Thanks for sharing! That's crazy - its easy to forget that mountains are constantly changing.

Cockade remains overwhelmingly my favourite Drakensberg pass with no close contender for second place. I even have an A1 canvas print of the view hanging on my wall. I know it isn't everybody's favourite - but its scenery that speaks to me in a way no other spot I have ever visited does. I say that having done the pass 3 times, and been through the Elephant Gully many additional times - that cutback between Xeni and Cockade Peak never disappoints.

@Ghaz - You're welcome, the change is definitely mind blowing. Tseketseke were not affected nearly as much. 

My wife and I are with you all the way on Cockade pass being our favourite, It is not just the views itself, but the entire experience of being enclosed by the cliffs. Having said that, I must be specific in saying that it only goes for the ascend. Our  only descend was a different kettle of fish altogether 

This image is hidden for guests.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2021 13:43 #77231 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Cockade Pass

(2/2)

Needless to say but the known Cockade camp spot is no more. We only managed to find one flattish spot for a tent or 2 much further up the riverbed

Mr. Supertramp, and all...

So I had grand designs to scamper up Cockade come mid-November. We'd probably arrive at CP Hotel around 11am-1pm depending on the drive down from The Teng and start our hike. Plan was to sleep at this Cockade camp spot, which is no more. Any thoughts/suggestions on alternatives?

I have a sense that there may be some level ground around the C5 Junction that lies between Mlambonja and Cockade/Xeni, perhaps the one mentioned by @BergAttie on the topic "Mlambonja camp site"?
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/56891-mlambonja-camp-site.html

We aim to head south thereafter...Organ Pipes.

Thanks for the knowledge thus far.
Carl.

More
20 Oct 2021 01:12 #77233 by TheRealDave
Replied by TheRealDave on topic Cockade Pass
You can definitely tent near C5; I've camped there before - on the grass, which wasn't exactly flat, but with some stomping it was comfy enough.

Another option would be to head up towards the Xeni-Cockade split on your first day and try to find a spot there. There are pictures of a campsite here , but it's some way up Xeni and whether it remains after the flooding I don't know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carl Gebhard

More
20 Oct 2021 12:48 #77234 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Cockade Pass

(2/2)

Needless to say but the known Cockade camp spot is no more. We only managed to find one flattish spot for a tent or 2 much further up the riverbed

Plan was to sleep at this Cockade camp spot, which is no more. Any thoughts/suggestions on alternatives?

Hi Carl Gebhard,

Agree with Dave, camping at or near C5 is possible, not great, but should be "comfy enough". How many tents?

My personal view: I would be a bit hesitant to plan to tent anywhere in the Cockade / Xeni valley further up until you've done some scouting (or perhaps hoping that someone else has more recent info on the pass since my previous trip?). I'm not sure which path the river took / will take as the rainy season comes into play. The riverbed was still very much "unsettled" at that point. The spot I saved is plausible for 1, max 2 tents (but it had quite a bit of loose sand at that moment). But if the weather forecast is favourable and you only have 1 - 2 tents, it may be worth giving a shot. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carl Gebhard

More
20 Oct 2021 18:02 - 20 Oct 2021 18:06 #77235 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Cockade Pass
Carl/Supertramp

I will let you in on a little secret spot. Situated on the "Bommy" rising from the Cockade/Xeni confluence, as shown. Definitely fits a 3-man comfortably, will be able to fit about 3 tents in a pinch.

Its well clear of the river, I spent 3 days stuck in this spot way back, unable to retreat due to torrential rain and a Xeni river in full flood. I have the GPS coords somewhere, will have a look.

First two photos taken from Supertramps post

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 20 Oct 2021 18:06 by vivo101. Reason: Information Added
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish, supertramp

More
20 Oct 2021 18:36 #77236 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Cockade Pass
@Vivo101
Outstanding spot!!!

This image is hidden for guests.

Though I must confess when I first looked at the pics on my little phone screen I thought "What the...This cat's totally cooked.", looked like it was stuck up somewhere lofty in a vulture's nest. My leg started kicking spasmodically.
Thanks Vivo, I'll feed it into the machine and see...

@Supertramp/TheRealDave
Thanks for that.

We'll probably only be two times one man tiny tunnel type tents. Three, maybe? So we can 'scatter'.
(if my hiking-mate and I do this route we'll report on our findings, still plotting...)

regards
c.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicolaas

More
04 Nov 2021 11:01 #77276 by Beard
Replied by Beard on topic Cockade Pass
      HI AllGreat thread, just cam back from round trip - Up Cockade and down Tseketseke.Ample water and insane views.We did not end up doing XENI due to possible wet sections/safety, but it remains on the list.  

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, ghaznavid, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall, supertramp, TheRealDave, wildingo, Walkfree

More
05 Nov 2021 10:06 #77280 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Cockade Pass
Wow, that riverbed section has been opened up nicely. No trees or bushes to fight with in the riverbed for a while :-)
I do wonder how it looks further up towards Xeni though, especially around the 3rd waterfall. if it looks like this lower down, the top part could be very eroded.
Anyone been up there lately?

More
05 Nov 2021 15:44 #77281 by swordfish
Replied by swordfish on topic Cockade Pass
Beard, it seems like you managed to find some flat spots for camping close to the previous campsite. Do you perhaps have the GPS coordinates for it?

More
08 Nov 2021 09:20 #77291 by Beard
Replied by Beard on topic Cockade Pass
Hey - sorry i dont.
I did see on the slingsby maps this is marked as a camp site.
the best can do is explain. - After the Mlambonja T junction, we took a left and headed on the trail towards Xeni valley. Once we got into Xeni valley, the path descends off the trail into the river to where you begin boulder hoping. Not more then 200m in the riverbed, did we wind up this camp site. It was the most obvious. We did clear a little brush aware to make some flat ground for a 3 man tent - the space was rather obvious.

More