Injisuthi Pass

19 Nov 2017 21:17 - 19 Nov 2017 21:43 #72391 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Injisuthi Pass
Quite a long slog up on boulders, then the cliffs started closing in, and we knew we would then have a narrow grass slope up to the base of the final chimney. The photo below shows a view down the pass with the cliffs narrowing in.

We were soon back in the mist up the narrow grass slope and we knew we were approaching the climb.

The bottom of the chimney appeared in the mist, and we all took our packs off, while Neil and I prepared the rope for Neil to take up. Photo courtesy of Elinda.

Neil soloed it up with the 40 m rope, and found a good block to tie onto at the top. We had a second 30 m rope which we had intended to use for everyone to pull on to climb up, but because the 40 m rope just made the bottom of the climb, we tied the ropes together so that we could pull the shared harness (we only had two) back down. Stephan went up first, to work as a spotter at the traverse and to haul our packs up, then Elinda. In the photo below, Elinda is on belay ascending the chimney. Photo courtesy of Christine.

I stayed below to tie everyone in, then Christine went up, and then we took all the packs up, Thora and Lorinda helping to pass them to me from the bottom to where I was on the first ledge, where I tied them on and Stephan pulled them up, quite a task to haul up seven packs in a row. After that Lorinda and Thora went up and I followed Thora up, soloing the climb. The ladies had gone ahead to the top of the pass while the men packed all the gear up (well, only 2 ropes, a piece of tat, 2 harnesses and one screwgate). Neil and I ascend the final grass slope above the chimney to the top of the pass in the photo below. Photo courtesy of Christine.

It had taken us two hours to get the group up the chimney. An elated group at the top of Injisuthi Pass, fltr Elinda, Neil, Christine and Stephan, Lorinda, Thora and Tony.

We had a celebratory photo session at the top, with mostly mist as a background, and then headed down the ridge towards Hilton Pass. At the stream we found a good flat spot and decided to tent there, arriving just after 17h00, as we weren't sure if Hilton Cave would be big enough for everyone.

Our experience of Injisuthi Pass, was similar to intrepid's and Dillon's, although we had a wonderful time, there were some anxious moments, but nothing dangerous.

Special thanks to: Neil Margetts for leading our climb, Biomech, ghaznavid and Dillon for information and photos of Injisuthi Pass, ghaznavid for a gps track of Injisuthi Pass, and not least, the group for all making it a wonderful experience.

Write up of Hilton Pass to follow....

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 19 Nov 2017 21:43 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Christine, JonWells, Smurfatefrog, Dillon, saros, Andreas, Dave, WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2017 22:04 - 30 Nov 2017 09:17 #72427 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Injisuthi Pass
Just for interest, some additional photos of the chimney climb section and traverse ledge at the top of the chimney on Injisuthi Pass, all photos courtesy of Stephan.

It was quite difficult getting photos of the climb, as we each climbed the entire pitch at a time separately, so it wasn’t possible for someone in the chimney to take photos of someone else climbing. Photos taken from below were complicated by the poor light and mist, and close ups would not be very flattering to the person climbing. All of these photos were taken from the top, so are showing the upper section of the chimney or the traverse ledge, as the lower section was not visible from above.

Lorinda and Thora climbing the chimney.

Elinda climbing the chimney, with the traverse ledge to the left at the top of the chimney shown by the red line.

Lorinda and Elinda at the transition to the ledge at the top of the chimney.

Thora and Tony on the ledge.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 30 Nov 2017 09:17 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, elinda, Christine, JonWells, Richard Hunt, saros, Andreas, Biomech, WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More