Mnweni Pass - Rockeries Pass Loop

15 May 2013 09:26 #56912 by firephish
thanks intrepid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2013 09:23 #58048 by ccjoubert
Are there any good campsites at the base of Rockeries? Some friends of mine would like to do this route over 4 days, and would like to camp at the base of Rockeries.

More
13 Aug 2013 17:37 #58057 by tonymarshall
The usual campsite is next to the path just after the Nguza Stream crossing when walking in to Rockeries. I can't recall any flat areas closer to the pass. There are also Scaly and Sunshine Caves about 1.5 km back along the path; we stayed in Sunshine Cave last weekend and I will post some info on these soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccjoubert

More
06 Oct 2015 14:09 #65305 by Si-guy
Hello

A group of four of us are wanting do to a hike from MCC to 5 Star Cave, Mweni Pass to Mponwane Cave and then back to MCC via Rockeries this Sunday.

This is quite a late post, wish I had found this forum long ago. I have a few questions. If anyone has some advise on these questions it would be much appreciated.

What's the dirt road like to MCC? Will a VW Passat survive it?
Is this area safe to hike not being in a park?
5 Star Cave and Mponjwane Cave - Are these caves sheltered from rain?
Are the pathways fairly clear?

Any input would be much appreciated :)

More
06 Oct 2015 14:22 - 06 Oct 2015 14:24 #65306 by firephish
We did this hike (more-or-less) last weekend:

What's the dirt road like to MCC? Will a VW Passat survive it?

Yes, will be fine

Yes, i would say so. I have never had any issues. If you encounter locals just be polite & friendly and carry on your way. We hiked in a group of three, but to err on the side of caution i would advise hiking in larger groups if possible.

5 Star Cave and Mponjwane Cave - Are these caves sheltered from rain?

5 star cave is quite shallow, in a sever storm you might get a bit wet. Mponjwane Cave is fine. If given the choice in this area i would always choose ledgers cave though :thumbsup:

Are the pathways fairly clear?

Path up the Mnweni valley is fairly clear, you may loose it while bolder hopping in the river at times, but just carry on up the main valley. Once you get to the pass itself it is very clear. And from the top of Rockeries to the MCC is very clear, just follow the highway.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2015 14:24 by firephish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si-guy

More
06 Oct 2015 15:25 #65307 by ghaznavid
Firephish has already answered all your questions, but just for a second opinion:

Si-guy wrote: Hello

Welcome to the site :thumbsup:

Remember forum etiquette - we all look forward to reading your writeup and seeing your photos from the trip ;)

Si-guy wrote: What's the dirt road like to MCC? Will a VW Passat survive it?

My Corolla handles it just fine, no issue with the roads. I use the directions from the MCC website to get there, my GPS generally gives me a funny route to get there.

As for safety, I have never heard of anyone having any problems with security at Mnweni. The community there is really great. Just be friendly, prepare to wave and smile a lot, say hi to everyone - and worst case scenario you will end up having a long conversation with someone who is trying to convince you to move in and join the community :laugh:

I did this loop as a 2 day hike a few years back, my writeup with photos is at www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakensberg-trips/55480-mnweni-the-tale-of-two-hikes.html - it may be of some use to you.

Tony Marshall posted great writeups with photos on the passes at:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/55775-mnweni-pass.html
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/55770-rockeries-pass.html

More
07 Oct 2015 05:22 #65311 by DeonS
You will be very safe, I have hike here a number of times in a group of 2 only and never felt safer - remember that ontop of the escarpment you still have to be take care and keep all gear together as you might find a herd boy ontop, but usually we have had no problems.

More
07 Oct 2015 07:05 #65312 by Drakensbergie
I fully agree. In Feb a friend of mine and I were setting up camp on the way out of Mnweni pass when a donkeytrain passed us. One of the smugglers actually ran back to warn us that we were setting up camp in a floodplain and showed us a safer spot to pitch our tent. Everybody we met on the walkout was very friendly and inquisitive. Wonderful people and place...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, Macc, Si-guy

More
08 Oct 2015 14:49 #65333 by Si-guy
Hi ghaznavid,

I can't seem to get onto the MCC website to find the directions.
The directions Google gives me are to Bergville then a left onto a tar road that takes me over Woodstock dam, just on the other side of the dam it's a left onto a dirt road then at the T junction right on a dirt road to MCC.

Does that sound correct to you?

More
08 Oct 2015 15:00 #65334 by Dillon
It's a better dirt road if you take the left before the bridge over Woodstock Dam, rather than after.

More