Mnweni Pass - Rockeries Pass Loop

08 Oct 2015 15:08 - 08 Oct 2015 15:19 #65335 by ghaznavid
As Dillon says.

I can't find them saved anywhere, but you can always ask Agrippa from the centre to give you the exact directions. I seem to recall that there are sign posts as well.

I have only been to MCC twice, hence my uncertainty on the exact route. I can drive there by sight, but unlike Giants Castle or Didima where I can tell you how many potholes there are (figuratively speaking, not literally). To me the directions are (coming from PMB side) :
1) turn off by that gentle left hand slip off with the spikey things in Bergville
2) drive for ages on a tar road till you see a sign on the left for Amangwane Cultural Centre (Mnweni) - dirt road from here
3) drive for a bit before a turn to the right with the same sign
4) drive for ages until hitting a large concrete bridge with the centre immediately on the right

If you take my point on my directions not being very helpful :laugh:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2015 15:19 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si-guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2015 17:55 #65337 by intrepid
Agree, turn left before the bridge over the dam, then right - both turns are signposted. Google map here: goo.gl/maps/SX3GvHBjetv

The trails are clear except that in the lower sections there are a lot of trails going everywhere which can be confusing if you are not familiar with the area. The locals can help to direct you.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si-guy

More
08 Oct 2015 18:26 #65340 by Si-guy
Ok great I've got that route on me GPS now so hopefully I'll get there without taking the scenic route :)

Thanks for all your input! Can't wait to go now!!!

More
16 Feb 2016 10:38 #67042 by Riaang
I've lost my track for the MCC to Mnweni pass to Rockeries pass back down to MCC. Can anyone resupply me with a softcopy?

More
16 Feb 2016 11:01 #67044 by Sabine
Hi Riaan,

will send you track this afternoon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riaang

More
16 Feb 2016 14:56 #67046 by Biomech
Hi Sabine,

Is it possible for me to also get the track? I will be doing that route near the end of April.

More
16 Feb 2016 16:01 #67047 by Sabine
Sure Biomech. Just pm me your email address

More
12 Apr 2017 13:04 #71361 by bergbees
Hi Everyone

We are looking at doing this route Up Mnweni Down Rockeries over the long weekend now over April/May perhaps spend a 1 night before the pass then up, 2 nights on top 1 night down then back to the center.

Just wanted to find out if there is any update on the area in general?
Route?
Safety?
Motocross Bikers?

Would Mnweni -> Fangs be an option? or other way round?

Cheers
Bergbees!

More
12 Apr 2017 15:32 #71362 by DesPorter
That route seems a fairly relaxed one. Spending 2 nights on top coming down Fangs seems a better option with 1 night in Ledgers and one at top of Fangs. Security in Ledgers should not be a problem, you will be out of sight and can set up an early warning on the path down.

More
14 Apr 2017 17:18 #71366 by bergbees
Hey thanks for the post!

Ja so I had a look at the map and I like your idea of going to fangs. We are thinking of going up fangs down rockeries. That way you see some of the best the cutback has to offer.

Thanks for your help!

More