Mnweni Marathon

10 May 2017 08:31 #71530 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Mnweni Marathon
I foresee great problems for the marathon, if anything like this forecast actually occurs.

Currently 47cm of snow is forecast:

(note bold blue text indicates cm of snow)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2017 08:49 #71531 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mnweni Marathon
What altitude is that forecast at? Yr.no is forecasting similar snow, but much colder temperatures. A maximum of -4c in falling snow sounds very appealing when you are armed only with a fleece and rain coat. Perhaps the extra weight of gloves may help :lol:

I guess it is still too early to read much into the forecast. Curiously PMB has a pretty good forecast for Saturday - not sure how Elsa can be singing "Let it Go" (death metal variation, that is) at Mnweni while PMB is cold, but not even cloudy.

More
10 May 2017 09:01 #71532 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Mnweni Marathon
Thats for the top of the pass at around 2900m. As it stands I reckon snow may fall even down to 2000m... Could be interesting!

More
10 May 2017 09:07 #71533 by ghaznavid
I won't make a call on whether or not I am still in till tomorrow afternoon - but if it is snowing that far down, I am pretty sure they will have to cancel the event because of safety considerations. If it does go ahead, 8h could be a winning time - partly because of a mass drop-out, and partly because of the fact that you can't run through knee deep fresh snow.

More
10 May 2017 13:45 #71545 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Mnweni Marathon
We are in the Berg at the moment, Champagne Valley area, and the weather is perfect...... what is ultimately going to transpire is going to be interesting, my wife and I are definitely still in, but we will not rule out making a sensible call closer to the time.

More
11 May 2017 17:05 #71563 by ghaznavid
Decided to take some man-up pills and avoid chickening out on Mnweni Marathon. Gonna be cold, but about time I do this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc

More
11 May 2017 17:56 #71564 by Dewrance
Replied by Dewrance on topic Mnweni Marathon
Good on you ghaz! We will be there too. I've managed to borrow a decent down bag and the physio has given the go ahead so I'm gonna follow the tip I got for running through the snow: keep running!!! :laugh:
Would love to meet up. Perhaps at the race briefing!?

More
11 May 2017 18:03 #71565 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Mnweni Marathon
All the guys & gals....ghaznavid, WarrenM, GriffBaker, tonymarshall, MarkT, Dewrance, Rhinoandhedgehog, Macc...who have I left out???
All the best for an interesting 2017 Mnweni Marathon, looks like a repeat of 2013.
Will see each other at the start and give VE a thumbs up :thumbsup: :hike: :hike: :hike: :hike: :hike: :hike: :hike:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, ruthtbl, GriffBaker, WarrenM

More
11 May 2017 18:13 #71566 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mnweni Marathon
Quite the build-up to this event. All the best to everyone taking part, and hope it all remains do-able even with the weather!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, ruthtbl, GriffBaker, WarrenM

More
12 May 2017 09:34 #71569 by ruthtbl
Replied by ruthtbl on topic Mnweni Marathon
It's definitely going to be an adventure! Looking forward to the experience :lol:

'Please accept the stimulation'

More