Mini Hike Reports

02 Jan 2019 12:34 #74425 by GetaPix
Replied by GetaPix on topic Mini Hike Reports
Thanks for sharing. Actually loved the cooking sections as cooking does not feature high on my list and it was fun seeing others doing it and how much people actually do in making it a treat. Good going
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2019 20:24 - 07 Jan 2019 20:26 #74466 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mini Hike Reports
Bushmans Nek this weekend
A couple of us hiked into Whyte's Cave on Thursday night, Friday went up Walkers Pass, down Isicatula Pass, around Thaba Ngwangwe and then down to Lammergeier cave for the night to meet up with Papa Dragon's MCSA hike. 
Saturday we hiked back up towards Goats Cave, across Knuckles Traverse and around to Tarn Cave, and then down Tarn Pass on Sunday.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 07 Jan 2019 20:26 by Smurfatefrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, hikingle, MarkT, pfoj, Richard Hunt, AndrewP, Andreas, Dave, WarrenM

More
07 Jan 2019 21:30 #74470 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Mini Hike Reports
Good pics there Smurf..

More
08 Jan 2019 22:18 #74477 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Mini Hike Reports
Earlier this year I took a group on a loop via the Bell Traverse, with the intention of spending our last night in Rolands Cave and then coming down via the Camel Route.
We ended up in Lower Ndumeni Cave, as the approach to Rolands was a little daunting to some in the group. A couple of us did enjoy a sunrise coffee in Rolands the next morning.
Just a comment in response to the earlier discussion around the severity of the "tricky sections" on the Traverse and the Camel - it depends on who is determining the "severity". A few in our group found far more "tricky sections" than the traditional ones on both routes - it was the slowest that I have ever negotiated either route because of this.
Nevertheless a most enjoyable trip was experienced by all, accompanied by excellent weather. Kylan also achieved a long-held dream of summiting Cleft Peak, previously not achieved on a school trip many years previously.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, elinda, Stijn, Richard Hunt, Dave, WarrenM

More
08 Jan 2019 22:39 #74478 by Sterkhorn
Earlier in the year I did a solo trip in the Garden Castle area, an area with which I was not very familiar. Thanks to Elinda and Smurfatefrog for the assistance and co-ordinates that you provided - it was most useful.
I visited some 14 caves in the 4 days, 2 of which had Bushmen Paintings. I marvelled at the numerous interesting rock formations in this area.
One of my goals was to check out the feasability of staying overnight in Black Rock Cave - I had been intriqued by Richard and Elinda's report on it.
Wow, was it worth it! What an awesome experience being enclosed by the rock walls, with a rock arch above, looking across the valley towards the main escarpment - it gave the sense of having my own private theatre seat to view the stars and mountains - a truly memorable experience that will remain with me for a long time.
I spent the last night in Whyte's Cave (another special area with the massive cliffs surrounding one), returning via the Giants' Cup Trail.
A most enjoyable adventure - I will be back.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, elinda, Stijn, Richard Hunt, Dave, WarrenM

More
08 Jan 2019 22:52 #74479 by Sterkhorn
We recently enjoyed another hiking episode with our granddaughters (ages 6 & 3 years) at Barker's Chalet in the Cathedral Peak area.
They had a most enjoyable time, with Jessica even inquiring how my camping stove worked, as she was going to take over the cooking of meals one day.
We walked back in the drizzle on the last day, but they both enjoyed the experience.
An interesting observation I made - where the adults avoided the puddles on the road, Jessica and Julia reckoned this was a great time to 'plash' in the puddles.
It is great to see them appreciate these adventures - good signs for a potential future in the mountains.

More
09 Jan 2019 17:49 - 09 Jan 2019 18:51 #74495 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic Mini Hike Reports
A couple of mates and myself conquered XENI over the longweekend in December. We hiked in and took a nice long soak at Neptunes pools and contemplated our decision for hiking in a "heatwave".Its bloody hard finding shade in the berg.....and who would have ever thought that would be a problem?? We found a spot for 1.5 tents on a grassy pinnacle above the Xeni/Cockade split, with a rather daunting view of Xeni. While pitching tents we watched in amazement as a large portion of one of the slopes in Cockade pass (just before the first narrow gully) collapsed, and sent a massive rockslide down the pass.

While traversing the first waterfall on the grass slopes, we found a memorial plaque, on what I will call "The Finger", I was pleasantly surprised by the remoteness of the placement. Due to Xeni pass being very dry, we opted to assault the river gully rather than traverse the grass slopes. After reaching the top we traversed the escarpment to Rolands cave for night two, thereafter we backtracked to twins cave for night three and returned via the bell traverse, summiting cathedral peak on the way down. Xeni is a beast of a pass and by far the most memorable pass I have done to date, with the "wormhole" being a epic feature. A winter snow ascent of it should be a worthy challenge. All in all another epic adventure in the berg. Needles to say...I think we are the first people to make flapjacks in Rolands....

Last edit: 09 Jan 2019 18:51 by vivo101.

More
09 Jan 2019 19:06 #74496 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Mini Hike Reports
So glad you got to Black Rock Cave, Sterkhorn - it really has an amazing view. We have been there twice, but think we must make a plan to overnight there like you did - I assume you had to carry water up there?

More
09 Jan 2019 19:10 #74497 by elinda
Well done guys!  An epic pass indeed.  I loved your campsite on the first night - amazing spot!  An adventure to remember

More
09 Jan 2019 19:17 #74498 by elinda
Great to see the little ones having a lovely time and hopefully this augurs well for the future generations of nature lovers and Berg hikers!

More