Mini Hike Reports

03 Aug 2009 13:21 #533 by Magan
Mini Hike Reports was created by Magan
seems like the long w'end early Aug. brings some brave warriors to the Berg .....
who's heading where ?
and anyone has an idea what the weathers looking like ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2009 15:10 #534 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Mini Hike Reports
Not 100% sure, but currently headed for Corner-Mafadi-Leslie's in the Injisuthi area. Might divert to the Cathedral Peak area for the Bell Traverse or Tseketseke/Cockade/Mlambonja passes. At one point Bell Traverse was almost certain. We'll probably decide Friday night...

The seven day forecast at weathersa.co.za for Giant's Castle camp predicts mist on Friday and Saturday.

Are there any better resources for weather on the web? I've heard another cold front is hitting next weekend, but it's a small one.

Check Cathedral Peak Hotel's webcam!!!

More
04 Aug 2009 11:16 #535 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic Mini Hike Reports
yeh, hear same about the weak cold front.

I'm off to Lower berg at Injisuthi. Combo of caves depending on availability.

More
04 Aug 2009 13:11 #536 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Mini Hike Reports
I've found www.windguru.com to be scarily accurate - once you register (free), you can mark a waypoint on google maps and it gives a 7-day forecast for that specific location (probably averaged out from grid forecasts nearby).

It gives temperature, precipitation, high/med/low cloud cover %, wind speed and wind direction for every 3 hour period.

The reason it probably feels more accurate is that all the detail conveys a clearer message of what the forecast actually means, much more so than a "partly cloudy 30% rain".

Enjoy your hikes guys, I'm off to Waterval Boven for some climbing and mountain biking. B)

More
04 Aug 2009 13:33 - 04 Aug 2009 15:26 #537 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Mini Hike Reports
Thanks Stijn!

Does anyone know the current (or usual) condition of the road from Winterton to Injasuthi? I travelled the Winterton-Champagne road last December, but I do not know the part from that road to Injasuthi. How long does it take from Winterton to Injasuthi?

I just heard two Sotho's were killed near Cathedral Peak. I only heard via word of mouth, but it seems they opened fire on a army patrol, who returned fire somewhat more effectively.

Now will they be scared off for a while, or return for revenge? That's near our alternative route so I'm a little concerned...

*edit* I just mailed Ron Physick at KZN wildlife. He doesn't know exactly what happened, but he says a group of hikers ran into a smuggling train in half-dark, who then opened fire on the hikers. My brother phoned me earlier and told me he heard it on the news. Does anyone have any more info?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 15:26 by gollum.

More
04 Aug 2009 19:07 #542 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mini Hike Reports
You can also get some good info on the current weather conditions at Giant's Castle from this news feed:
http://vertical-endeavour.com/news-feeds/giants-castle-weather.html

About the incident with the hikers, I will also get some more info and update the site with it. I'm guessing it happend around the Organ Pipes area and that the smugglers mistook the hikers to be a KZN Wildlife patrol - this kind of thing happened there last year too.

Lukas, its 1-2 hours to drive to Injasuthi from Winterton. The dirt road is not that great but can be driven by regular vehicles without any problems. There have been security problems along this road (but none that I'm aware of in the last 2 years or so), so be aware of potentially being road blocked by cows or people. Kids have also been known to throw stones at cars. Avoid driving in the dark.

Stijn, climb safe. Magan, what caves you heading to?

I envy you guys in the Berg this weekend - hope you have an awesome time! I`m not anywhere near the Berg, but just to make me feel a little better I`ve just spent an awesome 9 days in the Canadian Rockies! :cheer:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
04 Aug 2009 20:45 #543 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Mini Hike Reports
While Ron Physick is the webmaster for the EKZNW website, I have found Jeff Gaisford (the communications guy at EKZNW) a better bet for dependable info. He is also the guy who releases official news to the media, so if anyone knows what is going on (even more than I do...) he would be best bet to contact... I am sure his contact details are on the web, otherwise phone the main switchboard at PMB head office and ask to be put through to him.

I have not yet heard anything about the incident, which is wierd, because most of my colleagues know that I like to have info about what's going on in the Berg.... Will see what I can find out tomorrow though.

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site

More
05 Aug 2009 07:59 #548 by Magan
Gollum : condition of road to Injisuthi is bad, probably 2nd worst in Berg (imo drive to Lotheni is No.1).
Directions : drive towards Monk's Cowl from Winterton. At major intersection (approx 15km), turn left. Approx 5km further turn right (u will see signpost). About 2km turn right (another signpost)and its another slow to very slow 28kms on this dirt road.
Will give more accurate distances next week.

But the place itself more than makes up for the drive there !!! :laugh:

More
10 Aug 2009 21:18 #555 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Mini Hike Reports
Anyone heard more about this?

More
13 Aug 2009 07:10 #559 by Magan
Correct directions to Injisuthi :

Head towards Monks Cowl from Winterton.
At 13km, Major Intersection turn left.
6km later turn right.
Injisuthi is 31km on this road. Starts of on tar, gets progressively worse until entrance to Injisuthi Reserve.

My w'end : I hiked to Grindstone cave via Marble Baths. Day 2 was supposed to be return via Cataract Valley and off to Wonder Valley cave, but flu put paid to my plans and returned to JHB instead.
Injisuthi was very busy. I came across 5 hiking groups on Day 1 and a few day hikers on Day 2.

More