Mini Hike Reports

13 Aug 2009 17:52 #561 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mini Hike Reports
ClimbyKel wrote:

Anyone heard more about this?

So far I have not found anyone willing to divulge more info on it. If I find out anything I'll post an update.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 18:52 #562 by intrepid
Hey Magan, good to hear about your trip. Too bad about the flu! :dry:

More
17 Aug 2009 17:57 #568 by intrepid
There was an exchange of fire between a KZN Wildlife ranger patrol and smugglers some 2 weeks back in the Cathedral Peak area. The suspected smugglers were heading up to the escarpment and were challenged by the patrol. The smugglers immediately fled. Two stopped and opened fire on the patrol with a handgun and a shotgun. The ranger patrol returned fire, fatally wounding the man with the shotgun.

As for the report about hikers being shot at, there is still nothing confirmed about this, and I suspect that this was simply misinformation about the event described above.

More
26 Aug 2009 00:14 #585 by domsmooth
Replied by domsmooth on topic Mini Hike Reports
Can divulge that no hikers were involved in any shootouts in this area during this time. There was a shootout, and there were casualties, but it was apparently guilty parties who were on the wrong side of the border who were picked up by the SAP helicopter together with some hikers stranded on a ledge in the same area.... More than that I am not at liberty to divulge, apart from to say that if you see smugglers or apparent smugglers, keep away and don't try to antagonise them as some of them are armed.

Lets all help maintain the values for which the Berg was proclaimed a World Heritage Site

More
25 Mar 2010 13:16 #1010 by Scag
Replied by Scag on topic Mini Hike Reports
So, another long weekend approaches.

Anyone doing anything exciting?

I will be spending the weekend in Underberg, at Splashy Fen

More
25 Mar 2010 16:41 #1011 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Mini Hike Reports
Heading to Cathedral for the Bell Traverse and hopefully the ascent of Cathedral Peak itself.

More
25 Mar 2010 17:22 - 27 Mar 2010 15:34 #1012 by intrepid
Haven't quite decided if it will be on the Easter weekend, or soon after, but will also be heading for the Bell Traverse, but starting and ending from the Mweni.

Please take care on the roads guys! And anyone headed for Tugela Falls on the Amphitheatre please be extra vigilant against theft...I'm sure the shepherds up there are looking forward to many guests over the Easter period.

Last edit: 27 Mar 2010 15:34 by intrepid.

More
26 Mar 2010 08:43 #1015 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic Mini Hike Reports
Doing Fangs and Rockeries in the Mnweni.
Still unsure of which cave to go for, Ledgers or Mponjwane, the poll and discussion isnt really making the decision easier..... :laugh:

More
26 Mar 2010 13:05 #1019 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Mini Hike Reports
me and partner are doing a round trip in the Monks cowl area. kieth bush camp the up to Cowl cave. Down Cowl Fork and back to Monks Cowl via blindmans cnr. We may be doing Mafadi 23-27 April

More
27 Mar 2010 14:21 #1023 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Mini Hike Reports
Will likely be backpacking a few days, but plans not quite firmed up. Glad to hear so many of you are getting out there! Maybe we'll see you in the Berg.

More