Mini Hike Reports

07 Apr 2010 22:03 - 07 Apr 2010 22:06 #1088 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Mini Hike Reports
Yipee! Great reports of weekend adventures. I was with a group of 4 in the Mnweni area. We climbed up Manxome (the un-named pass beside Pinns)and then down Rockeries. Had a nice wet night in Mponjwane cave (makes for a good story), and the highlight for me was the awesome views from the escarpment of Mnweni Pinnacles. Seemed to be a very recent, and not-so-small rock slide on Rockeries, as even the little pieces of grass in the fall-out dirt was green and fresh still. Anyone know about this?
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 22:06 by ClimbyKel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2010 12:44 #1094 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic Mini Hike Reports
We were also hiking the Mnweni the weekend. Planned to do Fangs pass, but settled on Mnweni.
ClimbyKel, I also saw that rock slide in Rockeries pass on monday morning. looked very fresh, like it happened the night before. We slept in Mponjwane cave on Sunday night, also had quite a wet night, with lightning about 50m in front the cave. Absolutely the highlight of the trip.

More
08 Apr 2010 13:34 - 08 Apr 2010 13:42 #1095 by ClimbyKel
Plouw, the lightening was something we missed. Too bad, sounds exciting. Oddly the cave seemed bone dry when we got there the next night, so it certainly dries up fast. I guess people should be prepared for a wet night when sleeping in Mponjwane cave during the rainy season, 'cause it kind of floods, eh? We slept on top that Sunday night that the lightening was around, but it wasn't too dramatic for us in our little tent.

By the way, we tested our new Marmot 2 person Zonda. Goes up fast and easy, but had a few weak spots in the rain. Breathes well, and the outer is very water repellant, but the outer and inner have a gap between them for breathability, which could cause splash back into the tent in a nasty Berg rainstorm.....but then again, I'd prefer that to sleeping in a puddle in a cave. But that's just me. :dry:

This image is hidden for guests.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Apr 2010 13:42 by ClimbyKel.

More
08 Apr 2010 14:40 #1097 by plouw
So you guys descended Rockeries on Monday morning? Must've been just in front of us, we overtook a large-ish group halfway down the pass. When did you ascend Manxome pass? We went up Mnweni pass on Friday and looked over to that side and wondered if there was a pass going up there. it certainly looked possible, even though its not on the maps.

Our planned route was up Fangs, but we decided to do a more relaxing hike up Mnweni, and spent a relaxing Sunday on the escarpment, swimming and exploring. Slept one night in Ledgers cave and one night in Mponjwane. Ledgers is, in my mind, defintely the better cave! those views are just awesome!!!!!

More
08 Apr 2010 18:23 #1099 by ClimbyKel
Plouw, we started out on Sat with a short day and slept in Shephard's cave. Our goal was to go up Manxome (which we did as planned on Sunday), and then go down Fangs on Monday (but because of the crummy whether that morning we changed things up). Instead we head to Mponjwane cave Monday afternoon, and went down Rockeries Tuesday. We commented that we'll do as you did, and "explore" or "swim" for a day in a future trip, just for a change of pace, and so that we have more time to take in the views.
Did anyone else go up or down Rockeries earlier on the weekend? If so, was the rock fall there when you did?

More
09 Apr 2010 07:22 #1107 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Mini Hike Reports
We came down Rockeries on 22 March and there certainly wasn't any fresh rockfall around. Just that very settled rockfall from a few years ago at about 2500m?

More
12 Apr 2010 09:36 - 12 Apr 2010 09:45 #1128 by plouw
some photos of our mnweni trip.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 12 Apr 2010 09:45 by plouw.

More
12 Apr 2010 11:23 - 12 Apr 2010 11:33 #1130 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mini Hike Reports
@plouw: that one with the person standing on the edge is a great shot!

This is one of my favourite shots from our trip, overlooking the Pinnacles from the North :
www.vertical-endeavour.com/gallery/drakensberg/peaks/khulus-3000-to-3099m/212-mweni-pinnacles.html

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2010 11:33 by intrepid.

More
10 Nov 2015 14:08 #65732 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mini Hike Reports
The thinking behind this thread is that a lot of you don't have time to write lengthy reports and sort through pics matching the report, and so you don't post anything about a recent trip.

So this thread can be used for any mini reports, even if its "We did a day hike to the Sphinx on Saturday, here are a couple pictures from it"
The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, diverian, elinda, Stijn, JonWells, DeonS, AndrewP, saros, Redshift3

More
10 Nov 2015 14:13 #65733 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Mini Hike Reports
Excellent idea @Smurfatefrog........I think you will find this will work well for most of us!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More