Mini Hike Reports

03 May 2016 14:00 #68160 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Mini Hike Reports
Hi Coeta. I took along my Canon EOS 750D and a Sigma 18mm - 250mm lens. It weights a bit (+-1.8kg in the holster), but it is well worth it when you can get some good images to remind you of your time in the hills!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coeta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2016 18:30 - 05 May 2016 18:32 #68238 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Mini Hike Reports
My son did his first overnight hike roughly 2 years ago, shortly after he turned 4. We’ve since done a few more easy overnight hikes to caves in the lower ‘Berg and he has really enjoyed them. I first stood on top of the Amphitheatre when I was either 5 or 6 years old and I’ve been encouraging my son to try and do the same. Well, one look at a photo of the Chain Ladders and he didn’t require any more convincing. He’d been nagging me to go for months, but also had one more request; he wanted snow. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago we made plans to go up for a single night over the May Day long weekend. As the weekend drew closer, the weather report looked more and more favourable for snow and excitement grew. Then came the terrible news of the attack near Fangs Pass and we almost cancelled altogether. However, after having a chat to Supertramp and agreeing that with our group and his group, we would be at least 20 people on top for the night (safety in numbers), we decided to go. Supertramp and his group left earlier than us and headed for a spot near Ribbon Falls. We started a bit late after the long drive from Durban, as we climbed the path up to Chain Ladders the temperature dropped and the rain started. My son handled well most of the way up, but had slight sense of humour failure just after the Gully when we stopped for a few minutes and he got cold. He was a bit miserable as we got to the chain ladders, but soon cheered up at the prospect of some exciting climbing. The climb up the ladders went by smoothly, but he battled with the cold once we got on top. We then headed for Tugela Falls and decided to set up camp on a flat spot, not far from the hut. Shortly after we had finished setting up camp, the clouds cleared away and the sun came out, although there was still an icy breeze blowing every now and then. So much for the snow! The temp dropped quite a bit in the night and we woke up to fantastic views all around. The trip back down on Sunday was a lot more pleasant than the previous day, due to the warmer weather. My son practically raced everyone else in our group back to the car!

There was one other tent set up a bit closer to the falls when got there, but by sunset there were roughly 18 tents set up in the Tugela ‘bowl’ for the night.

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 05 May 2016 18:32 by Dillon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, elinda, Richard Hunt, Biomech

More
05 May 2016 18:36 #68239 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Mini Hike Reports
Continued...

We didn’t get any snow, but a definite highlight for my son was “ice-skating” on the frozen Tugela! Before we had even reached the Chain Ladders on the way back down, he was nagging me for another trip back there, “But next time Dad, there must be snow!”

So proud of my boy!

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

More
05 May 2016 18:41 #68240 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Mini Hike Reports
Wonderful video and photos Dillon! Great to see your son enjoying the outdoors - another mountaineer in the making?!

More
05 May 2016 18:52 #68242 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mini Hike Reports
Well done to the young man!

On a side note, other than Nkosasana and Mafadi, was there snow left anywhere on Sunday?

More
05 May 2016 19:09 #68243 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Mini Hike Reports
Congratulations, Dillon and also to your boy. It's great to see the smiles!

More
05 May 2016 21:42 #68245 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mini Hike Reports

ghaznavid wrote: Well done to the young man!

On a side note, other than Nkosasana and Mafadi, was there snow left anywhere on Sunday?

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/14-drakensberg-general/55976-snow-watch-2016.html?start=20#68139

More
18 May 2016 13:54 - 18 May 2016 13:57 #68495 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Mini Hike Reports
Elinda, Karl, Brad and myself spent 4 days at Mnweni. This was a planned photography hike to the Fangs/Mbundini Valley, at a leisurely pace taking in everything our eyes could feast on. A first for me as we always rush to get from point A to B. We were in the next valley to the trial runners so did not see masses run past, except later on Saturday during our return we bumped into a few who did not make the cutoff time. For the 4 days we spent at Mnweni we were hounded all day long by at least 5 helicopters flying at the same time (I think from Cathederal Peak Hotel) The valleys of Mnweni sounded like a war zone, landing on peaks and flying up passes. This was extremely annoying and wonder if they are allowed to disturb the peace in such a way? It was so bad I might not hike again in Mnweni for that reason. This is a link for my photos... photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMiLGtCHAsUX8o50FuHN2ImrvAuv8xjNOdbdNkAX9EGCRQqbnJqDCJqopYhlJMzsQ?key=d05XMGdHSHNVZHhuVWNwUHl5S3ppendPS2xDTF93

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 18 May 2016 13:57 by Richard Hunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, ghaznavid, LouisvV, Smurfatefrog, Biomech

More
18 May 2016 14:41 #68496 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Mini Hike Reports
I share your sentiment on the choppers Richard. We were on the pass when there were 3 of them hovering around us -VERY ANNOYING. Fortunately the clouds came over and that was the end of the noise :P

More
31 May 2016 19:26 #68610 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mini Hike Reports
Some pics from this last weekend.
Day 1: Hidden Valley to Wave Cave for lunch, up Mzimude Pass south to overnight in Mzimude Cave
Day 2: North along escarpment, down Tsepeng Pass (southern variation of it), then contoured into the Bollard / Sleeping Beauty Cave valley

Explaining the route ahead of us

Lunch time surfing at Wave Cave

A random path heading south made us overshoot the pass entrance, so we had to drop down a bit to get into it

Snow & ice above 2600m made it tricky at times

We managed to fit all 8 into the 6 sleeper!

The narrow ledge to the cave was rather slippery

Fairly thick sheet of ice!

Last minute stretches before descending Tsepeng

Rather steep at the top

And iced up

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, JonWells, ghaznavid, Richard Hunt

More