Mini Hike Reports

09 Jan 2019 20:47 #74500 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Mini Hike Reports
@Elinda I actually slept the first night at Curtain Cave, made my way up to Black Rock Cave the next day, left my pack there and went on to explore Sherry Cave (new) and Painter's Cave. On my return I collected water from the stream flowing down to Whyte's Cave. One definitely needs to carry water up there in dry weather - not sure it would be suitable in wet weather. Definitely worth the effort of carrying the extra weight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 08:39 #74527 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mini Hike Reports
On Friday and Saturday this week, Ross and I did a 2 day loop at Lotheni. We went up Buttress Pass (thanks TonyM for the track, it was very helpful) and descended KaMasihlenga Pass. We were planning on using Hlathimba Pass, but Ross wanted Redi, so we changed plans slightly.

Buttress Pass is very steep, but fairly short. There is a scrambly bit near the top, which we mostly skipped by staying on the true right grass bank. When you are forced into the gully, there is a short easy scramble, which I avoided by taking a zig-zag traverse on a ledge on the left - but the scramble itself would also be very easy. Ross used the scramble. At the top grass ledge, we took the easier line and traversed left (true right) and walked off onto the escarpment instead of doing the last few scrambles.

We had a close call with about 10 dogs. The shepherds were with them and tried to call them off, but the dogs only backed off after getting very close to us. But not harm done - Ross' first time experiencing one of the less pleasant parts of Drakensberg hiking.

We spent the night in North Hlathimba Cave, which was much bigger than expected, mostly dry and very well sheltered. Actually a really good cave.

Saturday morning we went up Redi and Terateng before heading down KaMasihlenga Pass.  The pass proved to be fairly steep and exposed in places. We only managed to pick up the trail again just after Yellowwood Cave, so our descent was fairly slow. But we were back at the car just before 2PM, so we weren't exactly slow.

Weather was perfect on both days, not a cloud in the sky. A strong wind on Saturday morning was slightly unpleasant, but all things considered, the weather couldn't have been much better.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, MarkT

More
13 Jan 2019 08:40 #74528 by ghaznavid

More
13 Jan 2019 08:42 #74529 by ghaznavid

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, MarkT, tonymarshall, Redshift3, Dave

More
Yesterday 21:59 #74547 by ghaznavid

More