Mini Hike Reports

31 Aug 2020 10:37 #76009 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Mini Hike Reports
Great stuff @vivo101 - looks like you got the full on adventure experience :thumbsup:

Well done for committing to the depths of the cutback! That's a wild place where few people have gone...
The following user(s) said Thank You: vivo101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2020 19:28 #76033 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Mini Hike Reports
Southern Mnweni pass traverse - 6 passes in one day!

On Friday night I set off with AndrewP from MCC around 5pm in the back of the bakkie, and started up the Ntonjelana valley shortly after, we made good time and got to the top of Ntonjelana Pass to watch the moonrise over the Cathedral range, and then took a closer look at the moon from Easter peak before settling into Easter Cave at somewhere around 21h30.

Andrew had specific plans for the weekend and so did I, so first thing on Saturday morning we were up and going at around 5.30, we stash the overnight packs in Christmas pass and then parted ways, I descended Twins pass to below the waterfall before turning to Christmas Pass to head up it, I was back at my pack by 8am – I was feeling GOOD.

I collected my overnight pack and head across the Ntonjelana ridge, where I bumped into Elinda, Richard Hunt and SeriousTribe. It was nice to have some people to chat to given I was going to be on my own the whole day.

It was then off to North Ntonjelana Pass, I stashed my pack in the pass and then headed down at about 9.15, the Initial slope felt extremely steep and it didn’t get any easier as I headed down the true right slope of the pass, at around 2,200m and then cut up the true left ridge of the pass to get onto the true right side of South Saddle pass and head up, these two passes landed up destroying my feet!

South Saddle and for the fact North Ntonjelana Pass are spectacular, the view of the Cathedral range are brilliant, but the passes felt Brutal.

Again once on top, 13h36, I fetched the overnight pack that I stashed and headed to Nguza Pass, shattered but determined to get two more passes I foolishly descending Nguza, and after that it took everything I had to get up Rockeries and to Mponjwane Cave which I got to around 8pm.

Through the night weather came in and on Sunday morning decided to head back down rockeries and back to the car.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
09 Sep 2020 12:54 #76042 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Mini Hike Reports
It was great meeting you Warren - and well done on a massive effort! I can't imagine doing all of those passes in one day :ohmy:

More
09 Sep 2020 14:07 #76043 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Mini Hike Reports
@Warren.... We looked at South Peak Pass while coming up Ntonjelana Pass and it was crazy steep. Well done Warren, you are brave! This is a photo of you approaching South Peak Pass.......

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

More
11 Sep 2020 08:44 #76052 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Mini Hike Reports
Great to meet you out there and well done guys. I can imagine doing all those passes in 6 days, never mind in one!!!!:hike: :blink: :hike: :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

More