Storms of Summer 2012

23 Jan 2012 10:18 - 06 Jun 2012 09:55 #52947 by intrepid
This is the place to discuss Featured Images for Storms of Summer 2012 (Jan-March).

The idea is to collect images with high photographic and artistic value, relating to summer storms. Members may upload one image for the specified time period. Each image should be rated by all members (see rating poll when you view an image). Note that you can rate all of the images, not just one - this makes for better statistics. The image with the highest rating for that period will be featured on the front page for the duration of the following period. It will also be posted on our Facebook page and sent out on our email updates. A copy will also be included in the special sub-gallery for all winning images .

Images for the current period should be uploaded to this gallery .

Comments may be made under the images in the gallery, but this thread is the better place for interactive discussion.

Historical threads:
Featured Images Oct-Dec 2010
Featured Images Jan-March 2011
Featured Berg Images Winter 2011
Featured Images of Fauna & Flora in Spring 2011

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2012 09:55 by intrepid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2012 16:05 #53140 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Storms of Summer 2012
The problem I have with this topic can be described by the following photo:

That is a genuine photo of lightning in the Berg, taken from a cave near the Didima river below Thlanyako Pass (we camped at the nearby Didima campsite - not the flattest place on earth to pitch a tent :) )

The photo is unclear, hazy and quite honestly it wouldn't be that difficult to take a good clear photo and add a fake lightning bolt - it would probably look considerably better than this photo!

Anyway, my actual entry is entitled "Roland's View" and is the view of the Cathedral range with a Cumulonimbus cloud in the distant background - the theme is storms of summer 2012, that is a photo of a thundercloud taken on the last weekend of summer 2012, so close enough :thumbsup:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
04 Mar 2012 22:55 #53143 by Serious tribe
I would have to argue if that is in fact a cumulonimbus cloud and also that the image fits the theme. It does not have the characteristic anvil shaped head, and as rather far in the distance. This shot while a bit fuzzy, is more to the theme, and well done for actually capturing even a small amount of the flash.

More
05 Mar 2012 09:55 #53144 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Re: Storms of Summer 2012
A quick word on the cloud which Ghaz uploaded to the summer storms gallery (so not the one in the thread).

It looks to me that this cloud is a cumulus castellanus cloud. The cloud has successfully grown through the non-surface inversion layer which is caused by subsidence in the anticyclone. Getting through the inversion layer is the hard part in storm development. In this case the cloud has grown vertically quite quickly but has been sheared off horizontally by stronger winds above the inversion layer - leading to that long trail of cloud. The air above the non-surface inversion is extremely dry and so the pioneer clouds building into this layer typically mix with the dry air and dilute (a process called entrainment) quite quickly. It doesn't help development when there is strong horizontal wind shear to blow the moist air away. In this sense, the cloud is like a very leaky pipe. It takes successive efforts for the cloud to build and not all efforts are successful. I don't know what happened in this case though perhaps Ghaz kept an eye on it.
I would say it does fit the theme because it is 'work in progress' for storm development.

More
05 Mar 2012 11:14 #53145 by ghaznavid
Thanks Mnt_Tiska :)

Intrepid can make a ruling as to whether or not Roland's View qualifies...

More
05 Mar 2012 17:36 - 05 Mar 2012 18:00 #53147 by Frosty Ice
Royal Natal

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 18:00 by intrepid. Reason: embedded images

More
05 Mar 2012 17:51 #53148 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Re: Storms of Summer 2012
Epic stuff Frosty Ice!

More
05 Mar 2012 18:25 #53149 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Storms of Summer 2012
@ghaznavid: you should have know better than to photograph a cumulus castellanus. :laugh:
Well let you in based on the technicality. ;)

Well done to ghaz and Frosty for capturing lightning! Hey Frosty you should submit one of those into the gallery for the competition.

Much to my dismay it doesn't look like I will make it out to the Berg in time to submit anything for this period :(

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
05 Mar 2012 19:47 #53151 by brio
Replied by brio on topic Re: Storms of Summer 2012
Nice Frosty Ice. Is it the same strike, as the bottom one looks to be the "skeleton" of the other?

More
05 Mar 2012 20:16 - 05 Mar 2012 20:20 #53153 by ghaznavid
That is an incredible photo by Frosty!

The best I have ever done on lightning was my first ever successful lightning pic (when I was 16), taken when I had just bought my first digital camera:

Taken from my front veranda at World's View, just outside Pietermaritzburg, I have captured lightning about 20 times since, but never looking nearly as good as the first one.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 20:20 by ghaznavid.

More