Rolands Cave

23 Jan 2012 07:20 - 31 Jan 2012 14:59 #52942 by intrepid
Rolands Cave was created by intrepid
This is a branch from the Don't Look Down thread.

Bigsnake wrote: I know this is slightly off topic, as Roland's cave is not the subject but seeing as it has featured heavily in this thread, I would like to make a little observation.

The photographs in this thread are dramatic and thanks to those who posted them! However…
How practical is Roland's cave? Where is the nearest water?
And sorry to be the party pooper but when it comes to the ablutions, what's the deal?
If it's just a couple of blokes, one can just hang it out over the edge. A number two?
The women, is there any privacy? Where do they go?
Scenario. A number two at night! (Admittedly this doesn't happen very often. Fortunately. :sick: )

If one is finding nooks and crannies for these necessary functions around the immediate cave area because of accessibility issues,it's going to be like Twins cave before long.

Could someone enlighten us?
Thanks again for the fantastic photos.

Good questions Bigsnake. Roland's Cave does pose some logistical issues. However if you are the cave-dweller type these are just part of the game and surmountable. If you are the tenting type you will find it more practical pitching a tent at the stream between Castle Buttress and Cleft Peak. However even if you are a tenter, Roland's Cave should be experienced at least once.

I've used the cave at various times of the year. During good rains there is a pool under some rocks not far from the approach to the cave, at the same level. At other times I've had to descend a fair ways down the stream heading towards Organ Pipes Pass. The worst case was is the August-September dry season where there were some trickles on the way up Organ Pipes Pass Thuthumi route, before the final gully (or throat). The water on the Lesotho side was several hundred meters in from the summit of the pass. In these cases you have to fill up to capacity and lug it up to the cave.

Toilet issues and cave etiquette: certainly an important topic. Guys have the advantage of peeing over the edge in front of the cave. As for the ladies, and for doing a No. 2, there is no choice but to walk out out along the ledge. And thats not the end of it: its no good just doing it once you've cleared the exposed section, since this is still the general approach area to the cave. I'd like to appeal to people to PLEASE NOT to do their toilet business right there. Ask yourself if you would enjoy seeing signs of someone else's toilet business on the way to the cave? PLEASE move as far away from the walking areas as possible. I suggest continuing along a contour about 150-200m from the cave. Alternatively, once you are on solid ground after leaving the cave, head up towards the cliff bands of Ndumeni Dome, and then towards the right (since towards the left is another cave).

A word about urinating near caves: I know how easy it is to walk to mouth of the cave and pee into the grass. However, think about what happens if this is done often. And think about sitting in a cave enjoying the view: would you enjoy the thought that the grass right in front of you (or under you) has been peed on by someone else? So please choose a place which is in the furthest corner away from the main areas/entrance of the cave, and in an area which is not sheltered by the cave (so the rain can wash it away) and as far into the bushes as possible.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 14:59 by intrepid. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2012 10:31 #53112 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Rolands Cave
All I have to say about this cave is this:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: czechmaster, vanhimself, Andrew5336, saros

More
24 May 2013 14:00 #57052 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Rolands Cave
Hi All
Were going up Organ Pipes tomorrow,and while there might aswell look for Roland's Cave.Is it easy to find? have been in the area a couple of times but never Roland's Cave...

More
24 May 2013 14:53 #57055 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Rolands Cave
Just sent you the route. Check your email
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hermann

More
24 May 2013 15:25 #57056 by Smurfatefrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hermann

More
05 Jun 2013 13:11 #57180 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Rolands Cave
This has been on my bucket list for too long.

Can "anyone" (Ghaz) please give advise on best pass(es) to get to the cave and generally what would a good weekend hike be with one night spend in Rolands cave.

How safe is the approach in snow or ice conditions? Is Rolands Cave one that has to be booked?

Thank you in advance.

More
05 Jun 2013 13:17 #57182 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Rolands Cave
Lol - I need to get back to work :lol:

Organ Pipes is awesome, nice to loop it with Thuthumi or Smugglers Pass - you can kind of mix and match the 3 possible approaches to the 3 passes, theoretically there are 9 combinations (although I can't see someone using the Camel approach to Smugglers or Thuthumi Pass - but it can be done).

I would not use the cave if there was ice or snow on the approach - it is genuinely scary enough with good weather, no wind and dry.

You can't book the cave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boerkie

More
05 Jun 2013 14:51 #57186 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Rolands Cave
I would definitely be reluctant to be there in snow or ice conditions.
A couple of years ago, while we were there, another group came to see if Roland's was occupied.
They related a story of a friend of their's that had to be swung out of the cave by cable from a helicopter because of ice on the approach ledge. Sounded rather scary :ohmy:

More
05 Jun 2013 16:50 #57189 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Rolands Cave
The best weekend package in my books for Rolands is to get dropped off at the top of Mikes Pass by Didima Resort, walk up Thuthumi Ridge to Organ Pipes, and then walk out the next day via the Camel.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
05 Jun 2013 17:59 #57190 by mykitchin
Replied by mykitchin on topic Rolands Cave
Thinking of checking out Rolands on a trip later this month. Whats the approach ledge like midwinter? Is it generally Ok (Haven't seen any mention of water seepages which could potentially make it icy?) except perhaps after heavy snowfall?

More