Rolands Cave

13 Dec 2018 12:01 #74375 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Rolands Cave
Hi BOTShane,

It's not too hard to find, just stick to the valley between Organ Pipes pass on your left, and Ndumeni dome on your right. Stay below the rockbands till right at the end. If you go through the rockbands you will end up too high, but then you have the two upper Ndumeni caves as possible shelter to consider. Both are at the base of the top rock band, about 300m or so apart. Even in really thick mist it would be difficult not to find these.

For Rolands, just keep in the 'valley" and you will soon start noticing lots of cairns, about every 50m or so, but relatively small ones (30cm high). As you go upwards (south) you will eventually get to the point where Organ Pipes pass and Ndumeni dome converge, and here you will climb a bit upwards through the rockband if my memory serves me right. For me, this is the tricky section as the cairns dissapear and it looks like you are about to fall off the edge, with seemingly nowhere to go. Just keep walking forward, you should see a faint path appearing, and about 20m onwards is Rolands cave.

If you don't succeed in finding the cave, use either of the Upper Ndumeni dome caves or pitch your tent at the top of Organ Pipes pass.

Enjoy, hope you guys find it 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2018 14:08 #74411 by BOTShane
Replied by BOTShane on topic Rolands Cave
Hey guys just wanted to give an update, my group didn't make it to Roland's on the first night, after we got to the top of camels pass we decided that was enough hiking and set up. Made a mission to Roland's the next morning to check it out, then went back down camels to ribbon falls. Was a beautiful hike and we had the best time. Thank you all for the information and support really appreciate it. 

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, WarrenM

More
03 Jan 2020 11:08 - 03 Jan 2020 11:11 #75572 by Toto
Replied by Toto on topic Rolands Cave
Hi all,

We've just been to Rolands over New Years... and it was absolutely STUNNING.

Here is the correct location on GMAPS: https://maps.google.com?q=-29.0140283,29.1884302&hl=en-DE&gl=de

And here is a great water source (a running river) about 850m away: https://maps.google.com?q=-29.0122603,29.1800194&hl=en-DE&gl=de

We also put new cairns to mark the way. It was quite a mission to find in the mist, but we made it and got blessed with the most incredible sunrise.

This image is hidden for guests.

Enjoy and THANK YOU for all the descriptions here. Really helped us along!

Happy 20plenty!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 11:11 by Toto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, Dave

More