Rolands Cave

08 Oct 2013 13:55 #58753 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Rolands Cave

Scag wrote: Do the chaps at Didima drop people off at mikes pass often? Or is it a favour they may or may not help you with?

Just call the day or so before & arrange it with reception so a vehicle is available. Will be around R40 / R50 per person

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 09:40 #58759 by Drakensbergie
Replied by Drakensbergie on topic Rolands Cave
Hi everyone

Is there a GPS track for Thuthumi - Rolands - back down Camel? I want to take my cousin on a 'berg trip. At the moment, we are looking at Chain Ladders to Ifidi and back the next day... but damn the man, Rolands looks awesome.

Thanks

More
09 Oct 2013 13:57 #58760 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Rolands Cave

DarkwingDave wrote: Hi everyone

Is there a GPS track for Thuthumi - Rolands - back down Camel? I want to take my cousin on a 'berg trip. At the moment, we are looking at Chain Ladders to Ifidi and back the next day... but damn the man, Rolands looks awesome.

Thanks

Darkwing Dave. It's like a highway up there. So easy to follow. Check out Tony Marshals super write up of Organ Pipes/smugglers and Thuthumi Passes and you should have no hassels. If you go enjoy man.
Selous
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drakensbergie

More
10 Oct 2013 07:20 #58761 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Rolands Cave

Geordie wrote:

Just for interest sake, and for those who did not know (me included before this), Roland's cave can be seen from the Cathedral peak hotel. Not really with the naked eye, however with decent binoculars or camera zoom it looks like below:

Apply your Crop tool just to the right( Looking at the picture) of where your arrow starts and you should see the largest of the Ndumeni Upper Caves. ME thinks??

Thanks Geordie. Lets give it a bash.

As requested, photo cropped higher up and slightly to the right. The shadows makes it hard to discern caves from cubbies in the rock band. I do spot some definite candidates for a twin set of caves to the right hand side of the picture (looking at Ndumeni dome lower right hand side of rock wall).

Anyone, feel free to copy the photo onto your PC and make arrows, anyone who may know where to indicate.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
10 Oct 2013 18:46 #58768 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Rolands Cave

Hope I've got this right, it's much easier to find the two Upper Ndumeni Caves when you're up there. The one on the right might be at the next possible position to the right in the rock band.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HFc

More
27 Jan 2014 15:13 #59528 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Rolands Cave

Above are two photos of the plaque in Rolands Cave. Photo one was taken in March 2012 and photo two was taken yesterday. Is this normal decay of the plaque or are people actually trying to scratch it out??? :unsure:

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
27 Jan 2014 15:18 #59529 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Rolands Cave
That's horrible. Looks like vandalism to me :sick:

While people are at it why don't they just dismantle the Carbineer's Graves. Very sad.

From berg.co.za:

History:

The cave is named after Roland, a member of the Mountain Club of South Africa. A plaque mounted on the wall of the cave in his honour bears the inscription "A man of the mountains and a mountain of a man". Please treat this cave with the respect it deserves as a memorial to a man considered worthy of such an epitaph.

More
27 Jan 2014 16:15 #59530 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Rolands Cave
seems unbelievable that someone who puts in the effort to get there would be capable of doing something like this? Although stranger things have happened ... ravens maybe?

More
27 Jan 2014 21:58 #59535 by Guardian
Replied by Guardian on topic Rolands Cave

This photo was taken in January 2013. And the damage looks the same as your second photo. So the damage was done between march 2012 and Jan 2013.
I doubt it's natural.

More
28 Jan 2014 07:28 #59536 by Aux
Replied by Aux on topic Rolands Cave
We will be going up to Rolands cave end of Feb. Can anybody tell me what it is made of them we can see if we can fix it in some or other way. Willing to carry supplies up if we know what to take with.

More