Rolands Cave

05 Jun 2013 23:23 - 05 Jun 2013 23:25 #57191 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Rolands Cave
It is time to suggest an experiment for Roland's entry.
Without experiment issues of hazards are all hear-say.

So, the next party to go along, please secure a fine line from good gear well above the entry.

Next, wire up a brave soul to the fine line and instruct the good soul to run across the perilous stretch into Roland's.

Please also instruct another fine soul to count the number of times the brave soul depends on the fine line for his/her survival.

I would wager 10/10 times the brave soul survives, even in inclement weather.

If so, we can lay to rest discussion of Roland's entry - concluding that it is as straightforward as Voyager's exit from the Solar System.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 23:25 by tiska. Reason: typo - I hate typos's
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2013 20:13 #57859 by Joe Welman
Replied by Joe Welman on topic Rolands Cave
I want to head up to Roland's cave next weekend. I've never been there, so it should be exciting. I'm just worried that the cave might be occupied on my group's arrival, especially it being a long weekend. Is it possible to book the cave, lets say through KZN wildlife?

More
30 Jul 2013 22:16 #57861 by Joe Welman
Replied by Joe Welman on topic Rolands Cave
I read some of the above posts and I think I got my answer. First come, first serve.

More
31 Jul 2013 15:07 #57870 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Rolands Cave
FYI... if you look on www.kznwildlife.com under bookings for the relevant resort you will see cave bookings :)

More
02 Aug 2013 09:44 - 02 Aug 2013 09:45 #57903 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Rolands Cave
Just for interest sake, and for those who did not know (me included before this), Roland's cave can be seen from the Cathedral peak hotel. Not really with the naked eye, however with decent binoculars or camera zoom it looks like below:

From hotel, using about 450mm zoom (x13).

Cropped from this photo:

I believe some of the Ndumeni Upper Caves are also visible this way.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 09:45 by HFc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, plouw

More
02 Aug 2013 09:53 #57904 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Rolands Cave
Have you read the chapter of Encounters about Roland Smith? Its a good read.

I got a photo of it from the top of Mikes Pass - you have to know where to look though :thumbsup:

More
02 Aug 2013 10:02 - 02 Aug 2013 10:04 #57905 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Rolands Cave

ghaznavid wrote: Have you read the chapter of Encounters about Roland Smith? Its a good read.

Indeed a couple of times already, and again yesterday to reference my find. There is no mention in the chapter that it is visible from the hotel. Roland found it while ascending Organ Pipe's via the North Western approach.

I am sure however that I'm not the first one to notice it from the hotel.

It is indeed a good read, would've loved to know Mr Smith personally!!
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 10:04 by HFc.

More
08 Oct 2013 12:31 - 08 Oct 2013 12:33 #58749 by Scag
Replied by Scag on topic Rolands Cave

intrepid wrote: The best weekend package in my books for Rolands is to get dropped off at the top of Mikes Pass by Didima Resort, walk up Thuthumi Ridge to Organ Pipes, and then walk out the next day via the Camel.

I was always under the impression that Rolands cave was a 3 day hike (I dont know why). So I take it this isnt the case?

Do the chaps at Didima drop people off at mikes pass often? Or is it a favour they may or may not help you with?
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 12:33 by Scag.

More
08 Oct 2013 12:39 #58750 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Rolands Cave

Scag wrote: I was always under the impression that Rolands cave was a 3 day hike (I dont know why). So I take it this isnt the case?

Assuming you take Organ Pipes Pass via Thuthumi ridge (or Thuthumi Pass for that matter) its not an excessively hard walk to reach the cave. Organ Pipes Pass is long, but not really hard.

Organ Pipes Pass is very scenic, I rate it in my top 3 passes out of the ones I have done to date.

More
08 Oct 2013 13:21 #58752 by Geordie
Replied by Geordie on topic Rolands Cave

Just for interest sake, and for those who did not know (me included before this), Roland's cave can be seen from the Cathedral peak hotel. Not really with the naked eye, however with decent binoculars or camera zoom it looks like below:

Apply your Crop tool just to the right( Looking at the picture) of where your arrow starts and you should see the largest of the Ndumeni Upper Caves. ME thinks??

More