Guess where?

12 Jan 2011 11:46 #2230 by intrepid
mnt_tiska you nailed it: thats Cowl Fork Gully, the southern side of "Cowl Pass" or whatever you wanna call it. On the left is none other than Monks Cowl, believe it or not, and on the right is the pinnacle associated with Cathkin, which marks the access to the South Gully route. At a lower altitude the peaks are more easily recognised.

About ST2's cave shot: that's definitely not the Lynx Cave I'm familiar with.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2011 13:10 #2231 by tiska
Tis much harder than I thought it would be this photo recognition business and I have to confess that elimination won over skill in the Cowl call. The Berg starts running out of free standers pretty quickly south of Injisuthi.

Interesting how different these peaks look from unfamiliar angles, or rather how drastically their profile changes. One can skip along the path between Sentinel and Beacon Buttress without noticing much separation but when viewed from the tar road between Winterton and Bergville it looks like a small province would fill the gap with room to spare.

All this photo spotting is good training for getting lost in the mist - or rather being able to find oneself again when given a momentary reprieve from the cloud.

More
12 Jan 2011 15:54 #2232 by SeriousTribe2

Stijn wrote:

SeriousTribe2 wrote:

Stijn wrote: @Intrepid - I'm going with Icidi Pass :huh:

@ST2 - Looks very Southern Berg to me. Let's try Sandleni Cave?

Not sandleni, but it is southern berg......
'you ANIMAL you...."

(hows that for a clue?)

Lynx Cave was my next guess and your clue just confirmed that :thumbsup:

Yup Lynx it is!!
Taken from the little cubby hole opposite. Put it in because it's not a commonly viewed angle.

More
12 Jan 2011 15:56 #2233 by SeriousTribe2

intrepid wrote: mnt_tiska you nailed it: thats Cowl Fork Gully, the southern side of "Cowl Pass" or whatever you wanna call it. On the left is none other than Monks Cowl, believe it or not, and on the right is the pinnacle associated with Cathkin, which marks the access to the South Gully route. At a lower altitude the peaks are more easily recognised.

About ST2's cave shot: that's definitely not the Lynx Cave I'm familiar with.

Can you believe. Can't remember all that rock, although the snow would not have helped.
Well done mnt-tiska

More
12 Jan 2011 19:42 #2234 by tiska
with caves and Cowl sorted, I'm on the hunt for the next pic. Stand by.....

More
12 Jan 2011 20:28 #2235 by tiska
All the photos in the Featured Gallery (Oct-Dec) are of the mountains without people - just like 95% of my pics. So, for a change, here is a photo of the mountains with a person belaying at the top of the crux pitch. Where is it?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
13 Jan 2011 06:19 #2237 by intrepid
That seems to be on Monks Cowl.

It seems we have variations of Lynx Cave - see my new thread I'll start for this.

More
13 Jan 2011 07:58 #2238 by Serious tribe
I am going with Monks Cowl as well, looking down the Mhlawazini Valley.

More
13 Jan 2011 08:05 #2239 by intrepid
I think rather the Cowl Fork valley towards Injasuthi - especially if that is on the Standard Route.

More
13 Jan 2011 09:06 #2242 by tiska
Well done guys - Cowl Standard route it is, looking down the valley towards Injisuthi camp. Intrepid squeezed in there first I think.

The pic was chosen to be the symmetrical opposite of Intrepid's Cowl photo - i.e. the view looking down rather than up.

Was it the shape of the valleys that you used to locate the climb?

More