Guess where?

19 Jan 2011 20:34 #2293 by Aux
Whene you go up the gully to Xeni cave you follow the path out to the right to the steep grassy slope up the the cave. To get to where the photo was taken go left at the point were the path go out to the right. Follow a small path and that will take you up to a rock band and the cave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2011 00:12 #2294 by Serious tribe
Hey Stjin you were correct. Not sure if using GE is quite fair, given that we should be identifying it based on past images seen or having actually done the pass ourselves.

However having said that, good work on using it accurately enough to id the pass. It certainly is a useful tool, and one which I use to determine photographic points of interest.

More
20 Jan 2011 05:36 - 20 Jan 2011 05:42 #2295 by Stijn

Serious tribe wrote: Hey Stjin you were correct. Not sure if using GE is quite fair, given that we should be identifying it based on past images seen or having actually done the pass ourselves.

However having said that, good work on using it accurately enough to id the pass. It certainly is a useful tool, and one which I use to determine photographic points of interest.

Ok ok - I will resist the temptation to use it in future photos... even though I do consider myself quite the GE pro ;) Interestingly, there is a huge anomaly in the GE altitude model in the middle of Minaret Pass - if you switch to a 3D view, you will see what appears to be a Himalayan giant rising out of the centre of the pass! Have we been mistaking Thabana Ntlenyana as the highest point in the Berg for all these years? :laugh:

Excellent shot by the way! Really conveys the steepness of that upper section. :thumbsup:
Last edit: 20 Jan 2011 05:42 by Stijn.

More
20 Jan 2011 05:39 #2296 by Stijn
OK, my turn to stoop to Magan's standards! How well do you know your Berg summits? :woohoo:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
20 Jan 2011 06:58 #2297 by Aux
Sterkhorn???? Maybe

More
20 Jan 2011 09:01 #2298 by Magan
With so few clues, I reckon Stijn would choose one of The Khulu's.
Given that his prev pic was of Cockade Pass, the nearest Khulu would be Cleft Peak, and the size of the cairn makes me lean towards this. Final Answer.

More
20 Jan 2011 13:54 - 20 Jan 2011 13:55 #2299 by tiska
Giant's Castle - you can tell by the colour of the mist.....
Last edit: 20 Jan 2011 13:55 by tiska.

More
20 Jan 2011 23:24 #2301 by Serious tribe
@mnt_tiska

Thats a funny comment, certainly the best I have heard this morning (oz am that is).

No offense to anyone, however chaps, I think that we need to choose images that have some identifiable features and that are not so generic. That image as well as the previous Van H's could be pretty much be anywhere. I think this is a great thread, perhaps some, dare I say 'guidelines' should be observed. Any thoughts on this?

More
21 Jan 2011 05:14 - 21 Jan 2011 05:14 #2302 by Stijn
Ja - I agree... just having a bit of fun. Turns out it's not as obscure as you think though:

Magan's answer of Cleft Peak was correct! :thumbsup: And yes, that was taken on the same trip as my previous Cockade Pass photo.

Let's return to some well-chosen photos now as opposed to guessing games.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 05:14 by Stijn.

More
21 Jan 2011 05:18 #2303 by Magan
Yup ..... Apologies !!

More