Guess where?

13 Jan 2011 09:30 #2243 by intrepid
The first clue was Ntabamhlope way in the distance. To get that angle and distance from a peak narrows it down very quick. The rest was deduction, if that is Ntabamhlope, then the big valley coming down from Battle Cave is in the right place and so is Cowl Fork running down towards it. Then even details like the rocky outcrop directly above the climbers head makes sense, that is what you traverse around (beneath) to get from the neck to Cowl Cave and the start of the route. And then the hunch that my pic had planted an idea in your head :)

I'm enjoying your climbing pics, also the one with jeans and tekkies on Mponj, and without helmets - you climbed much closer to the pioneers than I ever will :) I climbed the Pyramid in December with all the benefit of modern gear and it always gets me marveled at how much was achieved with much less.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2011 10:36 - 13 Jan 2011 10:39 #2244 by tiska
Intrepid - you siezed on all the clues on the Cowl climbing pic. In an earlier version of the pic, the jpeg was compressed to the point where Ntabamhlope converged with a Little Berg ridge, so I backed off on the reduction as I thought it would be the leading clue. I'm interested that the rocky outcrops on the traverse were recognisable. It reminded me of some funny conversations I've had with people about climbs when, say, you're sitting in the south of France somewhere and talking to someone you've never met before about a single hand-hold or peg that you both know intimately on a single rock face somewhere in the Berg.

I spent some time looking at the Pyramid last December too -but only from a distance. Pyramid was my second ever climb and we did it a few days after a big fire. I remember being very glad when the rock pitches finally appeared because the steep, burnt slopes were tricky. They turned out to be even worse on the descent.

We were lucky to get away with the sparse climbing gear we had to hand, although helmets didn't really appear on our wish list, even after I'd taken a mellon sized bolder on the chin in Rockeries once. Gear was somehow always scarce. Two of us once rapped off Mponj with no belay device at all. On the last few rapps I just held on to the rope in preference to making my shoulders any more raw than they were. Mostly we were just completely amped to get to the top and that seemed to help more than the gear.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2011 10:39 by tiska.

More
13 Jan 2011 12:03 #2245 by Stijn
This one may be fairly easy but I just love this pic...

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
13 Jan 2011 14:44 #2247 by tiska
Stijn - its a great idea this - I've really been enjoying it.

My guess is this is a southern Berg pic and, if correct, I'll be watching the action. See thread on southern Berg.

More
14 Jan 2011 05:55 #2255 by Magan
I was wrong on my attempt with Stijn's 1st pic,
in the correct area with Intrepid's,
now I shall not be denied :laugh:

COCKADE PASS !!!

...and the fans go wild !!!

More
14 Jan 2011 07:20 #2256 by SeriousTribe2
Am agreeing with the MAGAN

Cockade Pass.:huh: :whistle:

More
14 Jan 2011 07:36 #2259 by Magan
Hey ST2 dont share in my GLORY ...

Stijn, please confirm ... and hand out MY Oscar !!
With tears in my eyes,"I'd like to thank ... "

More
14 Jan 2011 09:10 #2262 by Stijn
And the Oscar goes to..... (drum roll please)... the OLD man in the corner! :P

Cockade Pass indeed - and this photo really captures what I love about that pass. The peaks towering all around you in such an enclosed valley is quite unique in the Berg.

Magan - your turn!

More
14 Jan 2011 11:23 - 14 Jan 2011 11:36 #2264 by Magan
I've had to make this a touch difficult for the fine Sherlock Holmes we have on this list.
so, which PASS ?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 14 Jan 2011 11:36 by intrepid. Reason: Attached picture

More
14 Jan 2011 11:44 #2265 by intrepid
@Magan: the problem is you seem to have a knack for forging a river route on any pass you do! :P
My guess is that neat little forest just before Cycad Cave on Ifidi Pass, or the next little patch of forest just after the cave next to the river bed.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More