The upcoming hikes thread

21 Sep 2012 06:43 #55295 by ClimbyKel
ClimbyKel created the topic: The upcoming hikes thread
Anyone out there planning an adventure for the long weekend upcoming? Tell us about it! :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 06:54 #55297 by ghaznavid
ghaznavid replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
We are heading up Gypaetus Pass tomorrow. If we get to the top of the pass tomorrow, we will make an attempt to the Mafadi ridge on Sunday and finish the hike off on monday, if we don't succeed on the pass tomorrow we will head up it on Sunday...

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClimbyKel

More
21 Sep 2012 07:10 #55301 by elinda
elinda replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
We are doing the Bell Traverse. Heading up to Tseketseke Hut for the first night, then up Tsekeseke Pass on Sunday morning, and north to Twins Annexe Cave. Bell Traverse on the third day - we are hoping for a clear day, especially on Monday. This is my third attempt at the BT so am holding thumbs - all the previous attempts have had to be aborted due to bad weather!

More
21 Sep 2012 07:54 #55303 by Stijn
Stijn replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
I'm heading up to Haenertsberg in Limpopo to organise the SA Orienteering Championships. We've been scouting and planning courses through the forests for the last few weeks so hopefully the races are thoroughly enjoyed by all!

More
13 Jun 2013 06:28 #57261 by Smurfatefrog
Smurfatefrog replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where people post details of their hikes a few days ahead of time. Personally I'd enjoy being somewhere in the berg & knowing certain members were in the area or that we might cross paths somewhere along the line.

If others agree can this be made a sticky?

I'm sure many of you are heading out this weekend (I'm not though :( )

PS: I said a few days ahead of time so Ghaz doesn't post a huge list only for 90% of them to be cancelled :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, Sabine

More
13 Jun 2013 06:54 #57263 by diverian
diverian replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
A "stock standard" one this weekend, shepherding some new hikers up Bannermans and down Langilalbele. Leaving Friday, overnight in Bannermans hut, up the pass on Sat, overnight in Bannermans Cave and back down on Sunday.

More
13 Jun 2013 07:22 #57265 by TehStranger
TehStranger replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
Hi all, new here but will also be hiking in the burg this weekend.

We're doing Monk's Cowl to Stable cave via Blind Man's corner on Saturday, returning on Sunday via one of the other routes. Will probably throw in a day hike on Sunday morning before heading off back to JHB.

Happy hiking! :)

More
13 Jun 2013 10:37 #57271 by ASL
ASL replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
I think this is a great idea. I don't know what the site rules are but we could also use the forum to introduce members and co-ordinate/ schedule hikes?

I have met some great hiking partners on VE and I'm sure there are people driving down from JHB to hike in the berg who would welcome the opportunity to travel together to save fuel or to simply get more hikes arranged.

My ambition is to hike 6 to 8 times a year in the berg and I struggle to find people to help me achieve this...

Mtn Dreamer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More
13 Jun 2013 11:42 #57273 by ghaznavid
ghaznavid replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
I have been considering posting a similar thread for a while now - as ASL said, the best place for meeting people to hike with in the Berg is VE. In a way the site is a better hiking club than any of those that I have come across.

@Smurf: I started writing how many of my hikes had happened, and how it was only a few that didn't, soon I realised that half the hikes I have been up for this year haven't happened :laugh:

Ok, so 8 hikes happened, 8 cancelled:
- Hikes through MCSA KZN section, signed for/to lead 4, 1 happened (25%)
- MBC: signed up for 3, 1 happened (33%)
- Set up by me with people I met on ClimbZA, 1 planned, 0 happened (0%)
- Set up with people I know from outside VE 4 planned, 3 happened (75%)
- Set up with people I met on VE 4 planned, 3 happened (75%)

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

More
13 Jun 2013 11:58 #57274 by Josh of the Bushveld
Josh of the Bushveld replied to: The upcoming hikes thread
I would love this.
Part of the reason why I don't do as much 'berg hiking as I'd like is its often difficult to organise a group. If I could organise one here, or join someone else's trip, that would be great.

It would also be great to hike with people from here because I'm sure I'd learn a ton from it.

Anyone got any trips planned for this weekend, leaving from Jo'burg?

More