The upcoming hikes thread

03 Aug 2010 19:20 #1552 by ClimbyKel
I'm always curious to know who's heading out on these long weekends. There must be some trips planned, right? I'm heading out for 3 days in the Monks Cowl area. Will post some pics when back. Happy trails to you all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2010 09:22 #1553 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Swazi Xtreme for me - enjoy the berg!

More
04 Aug 2010 10:32 - 04 Aug 2010 10:33 #1554 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Mnweni - my first visit. Up Mnweni and down Rockeries. Hopefully an exploratory dash to check out the approach to the Saddle North Peak frontal route (it's on my list for next year :evil:)
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 10:33 by gollum.

More
06 Aug 2010 10:28 #1568 by mountain bear
hi there - wow talk about lucky - am stuck on the farm ! summer is on its way so i will spend the long w/end ploughing ! - getting ready for the new season - life sucks ! whish i was out there !

More
09 Aug 2010 19:13 - 09 Aug 2010 19:16 #1571 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Up Ntonjelana pass and down Mweni,the weather was perfect and Mponjwane cave is stunning.Oh yes and now i have only realised we met Gollum and his two friends at the source of the Orange river on Sunday.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2010 19:16 by anthony.

More
11 Aug 2010 12:33 #1573 by gollum
Hehe, well met! Come to think of it, we never properly introduced ourselves after barging in on your lunch :silly: - sorry about that!!

That night we saw the fire (the one the donkey train started) crawling over the top of Mnweni pass onto the escarpment where it died - did you manage your descent without any trouble?

More
11 Aug 2010 17:54 - 11 Aug 2010 17:57 #1574 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic The upcoming hikes thread
We were trapped at the bottom of Mweni, but managed to jump through the flames just for a little excitement.Did you get to see the vultures?

Just goes to show you never know who you will meet in the mountains ;)
Last edit: 11 Aug 2010 17:57 by anthony.

More
17 Aug 2010 13:03 #1592 by gollum
Sounds scary! Glad you made it through, though. Nope, We went to Ledger's and then Mponjwane cave, and there called it a day. I think the previous day's long slog got to us. We did however see a lot of Lammergeiers not far northwest from Mponjwane Cave.

More
18 Aug 2010 20:12 #1620 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic The upcoming hikes thread
@Gollum: Did you spot them in the cutback just North of the North Saddle by any chance? When we traversed from Ledger's to Twins in early July, there must have been about 50 Lammergeiers riding the thermals of the clouds that eventually snowed on us. B)

They were flying all around us, at the awesome viewpoint you get one valley South of the top of Rockeries, just before climbing over the ridge to get around the back of Nguza Pass. They must be nesting in the cliffs there.

More
18 Aug 2010 21:53 #1622 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Ja that seen them in great numbers in that area too. Maybe its all the dead donkeys on Rockeries :)

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More