The Mt Aux Sources - Amphitheatre - Tugela thread

06 May 2014 07:31 #60574 by relevitt
Do you know if they're going to close it? We're driving up next Monday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2014 08:58 #60579 by Sterkhorn
I am not sure how they will be controlling it. The driver that fetched us for the shuttle return had to wait for 20 minutes while they flattened sand that had been brought in. He said they planned to allow traffic, but it might be held up at times. It might be best to contact Witsiehoek Lodge for more details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: relevitt

More
20 May 2014 19:09 #60793 by Spykid
I was on the road from Witsieshoek to Sentinel on 1 May and saw that they were grading the road and made a lot of progress during the day that I was up there. Have to share a pic or 2 :)

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog, HFc

More
21 May 2014 15:36 - 21 May 2014 15:36 #60809 by HFc
Thanks Spykid.

I'm in that area over the coming weekend, but not in the type of car that would've liked the old road up there. Its not like a sports car, it is a sedan and can do dirt roads, but not hectic ones.

So, how far are they with the paving? Additionally, where the road is not paved as yet, is it perhaps in better shape now that its been graded? (assuming the whole road has been graded in preparation for the paving?).

Thanks

Ps. Great pics
Last edit: 21 May 2014 15:36 by HFc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spykid

More
22 May 2014 11:55 #60830 by Spykid
Hi there
When I went up the road was exactly as it was last year. Some real rough patches with big stones on places. They started grating but no paving yet. But I was surprised at the progress they made that day with the process and the amount of road that they laid sand on. So I am not sure about the current state but just be prepared to take it slow. :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HFc

More
05 Jun 2014 21:11 #61002 by Mr T
Hi Everyone

Any news on the upgrading of sentinel road?
We are heading up in August and going with our car.
Previous time was horrific with our low car as we were unaware of the state of the road...
It was mentioned it would be done June/july??

We are heading up Mafadi over the long weekend next week and looking forward to it big time.
Keep safe if you are heading up this weekend with the weather! Weather reports look awesome!!

;)

More
06 Jun 2014 09:14 - 06 Jun 2014 09:18 #61010 by HFc
Hi Mr. T.

Was there about two weeks ago, and I felt that the road was a lot better than in the past. The only problem is the first part of it, which is still kind of bad. It likely puts off a lot of people from going further. (I think that may actually be a strategy whilst they are working on the road from Sentinel Car Park side, to keep car volumes down)

Once past the fork towards Sentinel (left to Witsieshoek, right onto the Sentinel road), as said the road is not nice going up the hill, put drive-able in a normal height sedan, i.e no protruding rocks or anything else that will damage the underside of a sedan, just a bit rough. This is about 500m's onto this road.

The road levels out a bit as it takes a slight left turn, and then winds gently for the next 1.1km where it is neither good nor bad, just drive relatively slowly (30km/h is fine IMO).

Then, at +-1.6km's onto this road is that infamous left turn where the bedrock is exposed completely, i.e. cannot be graded anymore. Anyone who has been on this road will know what I am referring to: the road becomes very wide here. I suggest getting out, surveying the best route for what is only a 60m section. Unless the car is really low, picking a route should be possible without harm to the vehicle.

From there on, the road becomes quite decent for the next 1.7km. It was definitely graded recently.

The last 3.5km to the Sentinel carpark was actually excellent. Sand has been laid down in preparation for the laying of paving, it is perfectly flat and a pleasure to drive on. They may even be a bit further now, and in August they are likely to be further still (they are working from Sentinel Car Park side towards Witsieshoek side as mentioned higher up).

In terms of them being done by July......gotta wonder who the Project Manager or PR agent are trying to fool/con....this will take another couple of months or even a year to complete. (Established tactic in this country of ours, tender for ridiculous timelines to get the job).
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 09:18 by HFc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr T

More
08 Jun 2014 08:58 #61021 by Mr T
Thanks so much for the feedback

When I heard that it would be done by end june/july, it certainly seemed impossible.
Ive driven up to the car park 2 or 3 times in the past and it wasnt pleasant at all.
Seems we will be taking or mates 4x4 instead with better clearance.

Thanks again for the feedback

More
04 Jul 2014 15:23 - 04 Jul 2014 15:26 #61244 by LouisvV
Hi All,

I am busy composing a photo map for myself just to get a sense of where everything is in the Amphitheater area. The aim is to slowly work my way southward. From searching on the forum I managed to tag these areas (see photo). Please elaborate on this, ie. camping spots, waterfalls,rivers, ridges, places of interest.
Once have more info I will collaborate all on one photo.

Thanks.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 04 Jul 2014 15:26 by LouisvV. Reason: photo not inserted

More
11 Jul 2014 12:11 #61279 by intrepid
@LouisVW, have a look at this thread and if you have more specific questions post them there:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/55303-the-mt-aux-sources-amphitheatre-tugela-thread.html

(I will be merging this thread with that one soon)

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV

More