Tseketseke Pass

18 Aug 2009 23:28 #569 by intrepid
Tseketseke Pass was created by intrepid
This thread discusses the Content article: Hikers airlifted near Tseketseke Pass

More details and some pictures of the rescuere here .

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2009 12:05 #633 by Balarka
Replied by Balarka on topic Tseketseke Pass
I nearly made this mistake last December. The false pass looks much more believable as the summit of a pass than the actual summit and you could easily convince yourself that you don’t need to check the map. Fortunately, I checked my GPS and realized that we were heading in the wrong direction.

More
03 Nov 2009 14:04 #740 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Tseketseke Pass
Here is a report by the concerned party:

Gomag

More
04 Nov 2009 15:46 #744 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Tseketseke Pass
Like several others, I've also spent some time at the top near Tseke Tseke trying to find the right gully. Seem to remember the important thing is to take the gully which is south of the column. In the mist it is hard to tell though.

Just read the report from the hikers. They seem to have been very composed - wasn't the epic I was expecting to read about.

More
14 Jul 2010 11:30 #74856 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Tseketseke Pass
Rating:* * * (6/10)Difficulty of the pass...

This pass follows a spectacular route up the Tseketseke River and gully alongside the Pyramid and the Column. Even though it has similar route details to Mlambonja Pass (see above), the upper grassy slopes are a lot steeper and make this pass feel as if it belongs in the Mnweni area. The beautiful river section and stunning views near the top make this a classic Drakensberg Pass.

Read more...

More
27 Mar 2012 11:09 #53312 by Geordie
Replied by Geordie on topic Tseketseke Pass
We did the pass this last weekend and although we all survived it was a long hard day with almost everyone taking a tumble or two. If bad weather had set in, it would have been another matter.
I am not sure exactly when the bad water came down Tseketseke, but about 4 years back it was a completely different pass. I remember taking up a bunch of “First Timers” and although it was a long day, it was certainly not dangerous, which, in my opinion, it now is.
Floods, ( I can only assume floods) in the past few years have scoured the river down by up to 10m in places, leaving very exposed banks which are very unstable. Unfortunately the river has also widened, eating away at the path leaving one to look for alternate routes, usually clinging on to steep slopes or boulder hopping. The boulder hopping is OK, but it tires one out and there are places where it’s just too steep and “Slope Clinging” becomes the order of the day. The thing is, you can’t just climb out of the river, and the banks are just too deep, steep and very unstable in most places.
There is a lot of collective experience in our little group of 8, and the feeling is that the pass is now still doable, but dangerous and certainly not for the inexperienced and not for large groups.
The VE track was spot on, but now academic in most places. In the past one could walk from the camp to the Hut in less than 5 minutes, it’s now a 10 minute rock hop. You can, however, still get to water from the camp without having to abseil, just.
We also noted the condition of the contour path in this area. Disgusting is a good description, and we were happy not to be walking towards Cockade along it. Just what are we getting for our R50/day, one asks oneself. Just a wee bit of erosion control and a good weed whacking once a year.
Anyway rant over, be warned, PM me for more info if required, looking forward to the next one.
G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, Wizman

More
29 Mar 2012 16:27 #53370 by DubbelBuys
Replied by DubbelBuys on topic Tseketseke Pass
you are spot on on this 1!

I haven't heard of Tseketseke being a hard pass, but when a friend & I descended it last year we were like what? It has been eroded quite bad a you've mentioned & dangerous for sure. We also took a few tumbles. I bent my 1 trekking polea bit, bt it was fixable.

We were very tired & happy when we reached the hut (came from twins that morning)

More
29 Mar 2012 20:58 #53375 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tseketseke Pass
Its sad - Tseke was on my to-do list until I read up about the damage in the floods a few years ago.

Please post some pics :)

More
30 Mar 2012 13:48 - 30 Mar 2012 14:01 #53384 by Wizman
Replied by Wizman on topic Tseketseke Pass
I also broke my stick on the pass, If you are a rock rabbit you can do the pass . I would not like to do it going up but down is doable,It was a adventure .I have only one photo as we where going up as i packed my camera away when we reached the wash away. Geordie has a good shot of it.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 30 Mar 2012 14:01 by intrepid. Reason: embedded image

More
30 Mar 2012 14:13 - 30 Mar 2012 14:23 #53385 by Jax
Replied by Jax on topic Tseketseke Pass
Here are a few pics. As you can see it starts out great, but once you are forced into the river bed there are a lot of very unstable rocks and scree to manouvre. A great adventure for me, but several of our group came away with another 'berg tattoo' or 2!

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 30 Mar 2012 14:23 by Jax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, diverian, ghaznavid, brio, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall

More