Who is doing or has done the Grand Traverse

06 Apr 2017 08:10 #71281 by Stijn
Progress update: they seem to be hiking from 3am to about 7pm each day and have just tagged Mafadi (94km), about 53h into the traverse. Consistent pace so far and they're well on track to finish in less than 5 days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2017 08:32 #71282 by ghaznavid
Good to see they are progressing well. Just a question of fatigue from here - it is usually day 3 where that hit me. Giants is easy on N-S, so only one really big hill left (Thabana) and the rest is [relatively] easy.

More
06 Apr 2017 08:42 #71283 by Jan
Steady progress. Big sleeps. They got a tent. I guess weather conditions are not bad up there these days.

More
06 Apr 2017 09:19 #71284 by AdrianT

Jan wrote: Steady progress. Big sleeps. They got a tent. I guess weather conditions are not bad up there these days.

Good for keeping cool B)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
06 Apr 2017 09:29 #71285 by ghaznavid
Let's hope that forecast for tomorrow is wrong - otherwise they are in for a miserable day.

More
06 Apr 2017 09:38 #71286 by AdrianT

ghaznavid wrote: Let's hope that forecast for tomorrow is wrong - otherwise they are in for a miserable day.

Yeah it actually looks pretty miserable if this is anything to go by. But the mountain has her own weather. I hope they have better luck than this forecast!! However, I'd still rather be them hiking away, than sitting here :)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
08 Apr 2017 18:04 #71320 by Stijn
Looks like they finished at Bushman's Nek just a few hours ago in a time of 4d 13h 8m - congrats guys! I'm sure the story will come out soon enough, but it didn't look like they had any issues along the way. Just solid, steady progress despite the miserable weather. I presume they're Berg first-timers as well? Hope they at least got some views!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
09 Apr 2017 12:23 #71325 by Jan
For your records Stijn:
Anne-Mummie Kirschenman and Kaj Derks. Both with an big trail running and mountaineeering experience. Apparently everything fell in place (according to them) for a first time experience. And off course: they loved it !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, ghaznavid

More
More
07 May 2017 06:38 #71503 by Grandeur
Completed my first GT along with Rian Botes and Mark Notter ( first time for everyone actually) in roughly 6 days 2 hours between Thursday 27 April and finished 3 May 2017 (will provided exact times and track when the GPS has been downloaded onto Basecamp etc).

Met a lot of other hiking groups over the first few days in the Northern Berg. If you saw and spoke to us, thanks for the encouragement!

More